Need Help With Removing Tile In Kitchen - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Need help with removing tile in kitchen

I'm in a bad predicament here. I'm attempting to remove 12 x 12" porcelain tiles from a wooden subfloor. The subfloor itself is 3/4" ply that is probably screwed to the joists. On top of that is a 7/16" plywood that is glued to the subfloor(or is part of it). The tiles are glued to the plywood or subfloor. It looks almost like contruction adhesive the Bull Dog stuff. The tiles are not coming up easly at all. It took 2 hours for six tiles and I have decent power tools that I tried as well just ruins the wood underneath more. This is very labor intensive to bust out all of the tiles and it leaves the subsurface in disarray. I'm wondering what my best solution for this problem is. I have a tile guy coming in two weeks to lay new tile so I need to have everything ready for him. And since I have 2 small kids. I need to have the kitchen still in use until the last minute. Help!! Theres a pic of what the floor looks like after the removal.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help with removing tile in kitchen-img_1042.jpg  

Advertisement

joshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

Just so you know if you ever do it the Underlament is never suppost to glued to the subflooring.
What are you trying to use to get this up?
I use Bosch Bull Dog hammer drill with a tile blade, It's about 2" wide and has a raised spot in the middle on the top of it. It lifts and splits the tile.
If this was my job by now I would have just cut out the whole thing and replaced it with new Advantec subflooring.
Even if you do get all the tile off your left with what looks like a bombing range.
It does not take that long to cut it out and replace it. It also would give you a far less likly to crack floor.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #3

Ive tried using milwakee hammer drills, sawzall's tile lifter attachment and an air chisel it just seens to dig in and ruin the wood. The tile is coming up in small chucnks, not even big pieces. They used a lot of glue and around the edges as well as layering the back of ther tiles looks like. I see screws so im going to guess that there is no plywood and its all subfloor. I was thinking of digging up the tiles where the screws are and removing the entire subfloor and putting in new floor. Just not sure how to do that or how hard it is.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

I'd use a diamond blade in my toe kick saw to cut the outsides near the walls and under the Toe Kick under the cabinets.
Then make passes down the middle between the floor joist with a ciruculer and a diamond blade to cut it up in sections.
You should be able to just stomp on the sections and they will twist, then just pop them off with a pry bar.
Not fun but it can be done.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

All the cabinets are going out so that wont be a problem. I dont have a toe kick saw but I think that breaking the tile where the screws are and unscrewing the sub floor might be easier and less dusty for what tools i have and with the kids in the house.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #6

Then go buy yourself a Ryobi Impact driver, some impact ready Dewault bits, a charger and a couple of batterys.
If the walls were built on top of the plywood your going to need that Toe Kick saw.
Home Depot rents them, Northern Tool sells a cheap one.

Advertisement

Tags
construction , flooring advice , help with projects , kitchen , tiles