Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Share |

Need help:how to install false stair thread

Hi all
I'm refinishing basement stairs with those false thread kits from HD. The kit has thread and raiser. Thread is from PVC + oak veneer on top.
I had all 10 steps and raisers stained into dark wallnut and coated with polyurethane 2 times. The last coat will go after installation.

So now I'm about to install those threads. How would I keep them in place? Do I glue them and then screw on sides or I can brad nail them. I do not need them to squeak after all.
If I screw them then how do I finish holes? Plugs or filler?

Another advise needed on stair nosing installing on the landing. LAnding will be laminated like floor and then oak stained nosing installing on top. Nosing has small tongue overlapping laminate. How do I install this nosing?

Thanks in advance

vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Tileguy

It's "treads and risers".
Glue 'em!

At the landing it sounds like your oak nosing is too thick. You don't want to overlap the laminate, that is a serious, very serious trip hazard ESPECIALLY at the top of a stairs.

The laminate will flex due to its nature, so you want the oak nosing to be the same thickness as the laminate flooring then use a radiused "T" moulding to join the two, eliminate a trip hazard, and allow the needed flex when the laminate is walked on. The "T" will snap into a metal "C" channel fastened to the subfloor.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It's "treads and risers".
Glue 'em!

At the landing it sounds like your oak nosing is too thick. You don't want to overlap the laminate, that is a serious, very serious trip hazard ESPECIALLY at the top of a stairs.

The laminate will flex due to its nature, so you want the oak nosing to be the same thickness as the laminate flooring then use a radiused "T" moulding to join the two, eliminate a trip hazard, and allow the needed flex when the laminate is walked on. The "T" will snap into a metal "C" channel fastened to the subfloor.
Thanks for correcting me. I'm really a newbie at stairs reno. + English is 3rd language so I do not remember all terms properly.

I thinks you did not get me right about nosing and laminate. I mean that I have special nosing which is designed to connect with laminate. It has very thin overlapping tongue. In general it looks like thread from one side and T-moulding on another.
here is similar picture I found in google: http://greatbritaintile.com/mm5/grap...Stair_Nose.jpg

This nosing does not snap like laminate t-moulding but has to be glued or screwed.
Problem that for normal steps they have kind of support but raiser installed on top. In laminate nosing - nothing is installed on top and pressure on it is not compensated.

If I glue treads, Do I still nail them with a brad nailer? I still have to add pressure for glue.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Tileguy

OK I think I'm catching up!
I would glue the laminate to the treads as well as glue the nosing to each stair. Shouldn't need to nail it. I wouldn't nail laminate flooring anyway - bad idea!

Same with the top nosing, glue it. The trouble with that type nosing is the laminate floor flexes and the overlapping piece breaks off after repeated flexing of the floor. The stairs won't be a problem if everything is glued.

I speak two languages...
English and Profane!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #5

how wide are the stair treads, how thick and how long
Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

I'm not going to install laminate on steps. I will put normal tread.
Stair is L-shaped with laminate on landing 3x3. So Nosing will go to this landing.
I just afraid that if I glue nosing it may not withhold the pressue.