Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Share |

Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island

Hi all
I'm refinishing floor in whole house. So far finished second floor only. I'm laying prefiinshed hardwood. At that point I'm at staircase going down to first floor.
Staircase is curved and it makes dead corned in opposite side which is 5' x 5' with curved hypotenuse (chord = 7'). I did not do any math yet to calc radius.
My issue is that I do not know how to professionally finish this corner. Should I use hardwood and custom bullnose. Or there are other options?

I did some pictures during demolition and also there is a picture of new floor near top stair step. I'm planning to install 11' 4" bullnose to finish 2nd floor opening.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-2012-05-26-11.08.00.jpg   Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-2012-05-26-11.08.45.jpg   Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-2012-05-26-11.09.09.jpg   Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-2012-05-26-11.24.40.jpg   Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-2012-05-26-11.26.38.jpg  

vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
STAFF

If it were mine I would stud the radius up to top level, floor it, and install a bending rail. If you don't wish to do that then all I know left to do is make that area a planter area.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #3

I want to floor this area as it was before. I just do not know how to make this type of bullnose. I came to idea today that the whole pice can be made out of one big board. But this is 5 x 5 ' piece and can only be made from several smaller boards and then cut and routed.

Pictures may be confusing but this island is at the second floor level. I did not get your point to stud it to the top. Did you mean to the ceiling?
vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
STAFF

I was assuming the wall is a knee wall, here are two examples of a radius wall and stairs. Making the radius nosing isn't that hard. Pick up a 5/4 board of red oak cut to fit the radius in segments, run a bull nose on the outside edge using a round over bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-radius-stairs.jpg   Need help on how to finish curved corner stair island-radius-wall.jpg  

Jim
Old 05-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #5

wow jiju i love the pics. those are the type of stairs not seen very much any more and the type of stairs i would love to build. working with a great elder carpenter to learn the tricks of the trade from but never been able to find. so i fight my way through them and try to learn as i go just to forget part of it before the next craftsmanship project comes along a few years later
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Another option is to use cabinet grade 3/4 Plywood with a white oak veneer and add white oak banding to finish off the edge.
For a really unique look check out Teak and Holly plywood.

http://www.marine-plywood.us/teakandholly.htm

Last edited by joecaption; 05-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydevries View Post
wow jiju i love the pics. those are the type of stairs not seen very much any more and the type of stairs i would love to build. working with a great elder carpenter to learn the tricks of the trade from but never been able to find. so i fight my way through them and try to learn as i go just to forget part of it before the next craftsmanship project comes along a few years later
This type stairs aren't hard to build, it is just a system and some work. I could tell you in a little while how to build them. They do take a lot of "C" clamps though just on a 9 foot ceiling it takes about 64 clamps just to form the rail. Hand made rails cut from a wreath block are the tough ones. Check out this site, Keith Mathewson is one of our members here on the forum and knows his stairs. http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/...gent-handrail/

Jim