Need Help Gluing Down Some Vinyl Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 532

Need help gluing down some vinyl planks

I recently bought some used vinyl plank flooring from a guy on craigslist. It had been peel-and-stick glue-down, evidenced by the lines of glue residue on the back. I figured it would be simple enough to install if we used flooring adhesive, since its pretty thick stuff and still in really good shape.

Thing is, im a complete novice at using adhesive on a floor, so i need some recommendations of brands, and the best method of using it, since i doubt its as easy to use as construction adhesive. All you pros out there, what kind of vinyl plank adhesive do you rely on?
And whats the easiest way to use it?

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
I recently bought some used vinyl plank flooring from a guy on craigslist. It had been peel-and-stick glue-down, evidenced by the lines of glue residue on the back. I figured it would be simple enough to install if we used flooring adhesive, since its pretty thick stuff and still in really good shape.

Thing is, im a complete novice at using adhesive on a floor, so i need some recommendations of brands, and the best method of using it, since i doubt its as easy to use as construction adhesive. All you pros out there, what kind of vinyl plank adhesive do you rely on?
And whats the easiest way to use it?
Use PSA (Pressure sensitive Adhesive) you can get it at Home Depot or Lowe's or Menard's or any real flooring store. Spread it using a notched trowel 1/32 X 1/32 X 1/32, don't allow any gobs or ridges. Once the adhesive has dried (about an hour) you can install the tiles.

ADDITIONAL:
Be sure the floor is vacuumed and absolutely clean before spreading the adhesive.

Plan you layout entirely so you know where the seams will fall at the walls so you don't have any slivers.

Use a framing square to make "Point of Beginning (L)" marks on the floor at the door where you will exit the room after spreading the adhesive.

Begin deep into the room at the far wall, spread the adhesive as you back towards the exit where your P.O.B. marks were drawn.

Wait for adhesive to dry, then place your very first tile "PERFECTLY" according to your P.O.B. layout "L" marks. Any error in placing the first tile will be exaggerated more and more as you progress across the room. Once you begin, continue placing tiles until the room is complete.

Then you must roll the floor with a 100# roller in both directions.

Advertisement

Old 08-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #3

Seems like it would defeat the purpose to let it dry first but i guess thats one of those things i will never understand. Sounds easy enough, i will see if it really is. Thank you for your help.
This 100# roller you mention, i have no clue what that would even look like to begin searching for one, so a little help there?
Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Seems like it would defeat the purpose to let it dry first but i guess thats one of those things i will never understand. Sounds easy enough, i will see if it really is. Thank you for your help.
This 100# roller you mention, i have no clue what that would even look like to begin searching for one, so a little help there?
The adhesive will be creamy in appearance when applied. When it becomes clear it is dry and ready for tile. If you know so much about it, why are you here?

You can rent the roller at any tool rental company.

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #5

i dont know anything about it, i was just saying it seems like it would defeat the purpose because using regular glue, once it dries its hard and completely unusable. I just assume that flooring adhesive is formatted differently. I will do as you said, thank you again
Old 08-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
i dont know anything about it, i was just saying it seems like it would defeat the purpose because using regular glue, once it dries its hard and completely unusable. I just assume that flooring adhesive is formatted differently. I will do as you said, thank you again
You'll see!!!
Trust me. Just be sure you buy the right product.
"PRESSURE SENSITIVE ADHESIVE FOR VINYL TILE INSTALLATION"
garlicbreath (08-24-2014), Gymschu (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 534

Even most Home Depots rent a floor roller.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

The container may not say those words in a prominent place on the label.
Quote:
"PRESSURE SENSITIVE ADHESIVE FOR VINYL TILE INSTALLATION"
It's also know as; Clear Brush-On - Clear Roll-on among other terms.

As Bud said it's whitetish color in the can, you apply it with a fine notched trowel, roller or brush and then you MUST let it 'dry' - 'set up" before you can start setting the tiles. It can take one hour or even 2 hours. The adhesive has no 'sticking power' until it dries thoroughly. When it turns clear and you can touch it with a finger and your finger stays clean, and it feels tacky, it's ready. You now have up to 12 or even 24 hours to install the tiles. The tiles will stick better as time goes by. It's own weight causes them to bond better.

I don't recall any pressure sensitive adhesive ever needing to be rolled though. Rolling is for the wet-set adhesives to get the air out and squish the flooring down evenly. These types of adhesives (wet-set) are generally used under sheet goods and some luxury solid vinyl tiles.

Since we don't know the shape/size of the room, I can't give much info on where to start only to say that unless the room is a large one, you'll want your starting lines near the doorway so you can spread the entire room and set the tiles without wasting lots of time spreading and waiting.

Did you ever say what type of room this is and what the old floor is like?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Did you ever say what type of room this is and what the old floor is like?
Jaz
A person using the name "TrailerParadise" can only mean one thing....

Two words that should never be used together in the same sentence!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Tileguy

hehehehehehehe,

Yea, I saw the pics of his other thread. It's definitely a trailer. Complete Mobile Home Remodel

Was thinking more on the size/layout of this room and whether there was an underlayment over the sub...........Which is probably MDF or PB or some other non compliant surface.

As for the "trailer-paradise"..... I've got a friend whos family own 5 trailer park communities. So, I'll guess over a thousand lots, trailer rentals, trailer sales....etc. They think it's definitely a paradise.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #11
Tileguy

Okay I had to visit the other thread and in all honestly I have to say;

"What has been accomplished with that property is commendable."

Many years ago I lived in a couple of those things and in later years was foolish enough to take-on some remodeling efforts of mobile homes/house trailers and found it to be - Not that much fun.

There is nothing wrong with those properties but the way they build them sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. They can be a nightmare to work on.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
The container may not say those words in a prominent place on the label.

It's also know as; Clear Brush-On - Clear Roll-on among other terms.

I don't recall any pressure sensitive adhesive ever needing to be rolled though. Rolling is for the wet-set adhesives to get the air out and squish the flooring down evenly. These types of adhesives (wet-set) are generally used under sheet goods and some luxury solid vinyl tiles.

Jaz
Jaz, the pressure sensitive adhesive for IVC vinyls are supposed to be rolled with a 35 lb roller.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Tileguy

Rusty,

OK, I'll take you word for it. But, are we talking about IVC? And, if the OP has IVC then he needs the specific adhesive that goes with it.

Regular white/clear brush-on - roll-on if for VAT & VCT tiles. But it no doubt will work fine with any Peel & Stick that needs help. Bud's recommendation was right on, I just don't recall any need to roll pressure sensitive adh. with VCT. Sure wouldn't hurt anything though. I'm more concerned with the subfloor/underlayment situation.

Jaz

Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Tileguy

I am reasonably sure the OP has no idea what he/she has purchased and has no way to identify it. This was simply an impulse buy because the product was cheap. Cheap is what it is all about these days. To make matters worse...the (used) product is going into a mobile home who's subfloor condition is God only knows what. Who knows the condition of the product itself if it is in fact "used". Good Gawd!

So anyway - Being here to serve, I suggested the best way I knew of to pull this off and make the project a successful one. The (All Purpose) will work. Not knowing the condition of the subfloor I suggested a trowel for adhesive application instead of a roller. I wouldn't roll it, but hey, that's just me. The trowel will deposit slightly more product than the roller method and I am reasonably sure this is what is going to be needed.

The roller thing I threw in as a precautionary measure. I wouldn't think a thirty-five pound roller would be the answer in this case. Seems to me the 100 pound roller would be the way to go.

So any way...that's my thoughts and I'm stickin' to it!!!

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-23-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

No argument Bud. Just wish the poster knew what they bought for sure. Might help a little.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote