Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |

need help of deck splinters!!!

Evening All,

I have a large deck about 6 years old, it's large pressure treated planks like 1X6" however they were not treated properly by the last owner and are starting to splinter in areas. I want to figure out the best way to deal this this so if somone is barefoot they don't get lots of slivers. The wood is generally in good shape, no warping rotting etc. Just looks like rain has cracked a few areas and some areas are rough with splinters. Can I sand this? Will any stain or paint help reduce splinters?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

justin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Sure you can sand it. Wear a good dust mask. The chemicals used to pressure treat lumber are not something you want to be inhaling. Any stain/sealant that prevents water from infiltrating the wood will help to prevent splintering. If you put on a paint or something that will not let water penetrate. remember that when the deck gets wet it will become slippery.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #3

After you get your deck surface done,yes you can sand it.You might give this product a try,if your deck is raw wood.I have posted this product on a few threads as it is one of the best products IMO out there.Not only for wood care but as a water repellent as well.http://www.blairstowndistributors.com/woodguard.php

Good Luck......................

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote