DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

need help of deck splinters!!!

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mark942 
#1 ·
Evening All,

I have a large deck about 6 years old, it's large pressure treated planks like 1X6" however they were not treated properly by the last owner and are starting to splinter in areas. I want to figure out the best way to deal this this so if somone is barefoot they don't get lots of slivers. The wood is generally in good shape, no warping rotting etc. Just looks like rain has cracked a few areas and some areas are rough with splinters. Can I sand this? Will any stain or paint help reduce splinters?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

#2 ·
Sure you can sand it. Wear a good dust mask. The chemicals used to pressure treat lumber are not something you want to be inhaling. Any stain/sealant that prevents water from infiltrating the wood will help to prevent splintering. If you put on a paint or something that will not let water penetrate. remember that when the deck gets wet it will become slippery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.