Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need flooring help - Hardwood or Tile?

Hey guys,

Need advice on what to do in my townhouse. I own a townhouse that was built in the late 80's, and was a foreclosure. I am currently renting out one of the rooms, and I will be moving out and renting out the entire thing in a year or two. The carpet floors are NASTY and definitely need to be replaced!

I'm torn between engineered hardwood and the tile that looks like wood. I have $2000, but can go up a couple grand if need be. I am on a concrete subflooring. I have some experience in both laying tile and hardwood, but it has only been helping someone. I will have someone give me a hand on this job, but it will be mostly my girlfriend and me doing the work.

So, here are my questions...Is it feasible to get it done for about $2000 (it will be about 300-400 sq ft) Where is the best place to get the hardwood or tile? (I was looking at simplefloors.com for hardwood) What is the best for long-term ease of care plus longevity? (I will be renting the house out)

I am located in Southern Maryland, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any and all advice!

rmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

There is a sponsor right below this post. Lumber Liquidators,They have hardwood and close-outs for very reasonable prices. Laminate works for renters because they usually don't care. It is easy to maintain and will last fine. if you ever move in - take it out and put in tile ( if that's what you want)

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

It is somewhat an apples to oranges comparison. Whichever you pick, I would include a rug clause in your lease. And think through your policy on pets.

Tiles would have the advantage of being replaceable if a few got broken or stained. On the otherhand, an engineered flooring material with a decent factory coating and warranty should work out well assuming tenants are not maniacs. Tiles would stand up to pets better perhaps.

Look into real, not box store, bamboo. You can get it in just about any color and as planks or engineered sections. It is harder than domestic hardwoods and stranded bamboo even stronger. You might get a green credit for using bamboo. Cork is another possibility.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/bamboo-flooring/

Last edited by user1007; 04-24-2012 at 08:41 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc555 View Post
There is a sponsor right below this post. Lumber Liquidators,They have hardwood and close-outs for very reasonable prices. Laminate works for renters because they usually don't care. It is easy to maintain and will last fine. if you ever move in - take it out and put in tile ( if that's what you want)
Much as I hate laminate flooring, there is much to be said for this approach for a rental I suppose. And tenants, unfortunately, are a crap shoot.

I would search this site for "Lumber Liquidator" horror stories before jumping on that bandwagon though. Every once in awhile I will see Craig's List ads for guys with trucks loaded with flooring direct from mills on the East Coast. They buy the stuff on speculation and travel around until they can unload it. I took a chance on a project and got some beautiful cherry flooring a year or two back. I refused to pay upfront and the person agreed no hard feelings if I didn't like what I saw.

Last edited by user1007; 04-24-2012 at 08:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote