Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need durable water-based polyurethane resistant to food oil and grease spills

I am looking for a completely oil-and-grease-resistant water-based polyurethane for white-oak hardwood kitchen floors and cherry kitchen cabinets. I am thinking of Vermeister Zero or IDRO 2K, or possibly Bona Traffic HD. My contractor or I will be applying these over an existing water-based poly, Varathane Diamond Hard. The Varathane turned out to be terrible Ė within less than a year smears of butter and olive oil had soaked through and left permanent stains on the floors (which had 3 coats of the Varathane) and cabinets (which had 2 coats of the Varathane). So now I want to put something over the Varathane, something that will not let the oil and grease through. I want water-based poly because I want the lowest possible odor and VOCs. I also want to apply no more than two coats. Iíve read good things about Vermeister but want to know if anyone can tell me how impermeable it is to food oils. The stuff is expensive, hard to get, and seems to be tricky to work with so I want to make sure that it will do the job before I order it. Iím especially interested in the Vermeister Zero with boost.

szmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Need durable water-based polyurethane resistant to food oil and grease spills

I understand your sentiments regarding low voc products. I would strongly suggest not using a water based product on walking surfaces as it will not hold up to traffic over time. Also, I don't know that I would apply it over an existing sealed surface. You really should remove the existing seal to allow for the new product to penetrate the oak floors. Applying over an existing seal may cause peeling and an unhappy homeowner!

davesim is offline   Reply With Quote