Need To Cut Old Wood Flooring Installed Under A Wall - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to cut old wood flooring installed under a wall

I'm in the middle of replacing carpet and old parquet flooring with new wood laminate. The project was going well until I ran into a spot in the room where sliding doors and a wall had been installed between two areas of the room.

The walls were built directly on the parquet floor and are nailed into the tiles. The wall is about 9" wide and has two sets of parquet tiles running the length of it. I tried to remove the parquet by hammering it out from the side and pulling it out with a pry bar, hammer, etc.

My next idea was to cut around the wall.

Does anyone have advice on how I could cut the tiles around the wall base to leave them in place and then butt the new laminate floor against it? The tiles are on a concrete subfloor.

Advertisement

JohnfromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 546

Toe Kick saw or Ossilating saw.
Why remove it and not just go over it?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why remove it and not just go over it?
Joe, If the parquet were not removed, that section of the floor would be 1/2" higher than the rest of the concrete floor. How are you going to install lam at differing heights? Or are you suggesting the OP bring the rest of the floor up to the height of the parquet?

To the OP, like Joe said, Oscillating saw or toe-kick saw. I'd go with the toe-kick. should be quicker. you can usually rent either one. You certainly don't want to try removing it from under the wall (bottom plate).
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

I've had good success with a SawsAll----long blade, mounted upside down----press the blade against the wall--make a shallow skim cut---

Tags
flooring advice , tools