Need 'cushion' - Konecto Vs. Laminate? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

need 'cushion' - konecto vs. laminate?

Am redoing floor in small hair salon. Very tight budget, but need 'soft' floor, if possible. Will be going over 18 year old sheet vinyl that did have good Wonderboard (now hard as nails). Need advice, PLEASE, on wood laminate vs. Konecto vinyl planks for cutting/shampooing area. The Konecto is very thin, so don't think much resiliency there (but wood hard too) - need help besides salesman input. This will be next to nicer vinyl tile. Thank you in advance. Desperate for ideas/help!

Advertisement

nat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #2

I have worked with both of these floors several times. I would highly recommend you go with the konecto for a few reasons. First, you are in a hair salon and I would imagine that there will be several instances where water will get on the floor. Laminate floors are very succeptible to any type of moisture damage. Seams will peak and sometimes the actual face will bubble or warp. Konecto is one of the more water resistent products on the market right now being that it is a vinyl base floor. Second, from what I know, the Konecto also has a pretty good wear warranty (can't remeber the actual years, but I remeber it was comprable to commercial ratings). Second, the Konecto will not scratch as easy. On the subject of "softness", I can't tell you that either floor feels soft. The only floor that I believe might work for you and have a softer feel might be one of the newer fiber floors made by tarkett or domco. These are traditional looking vinyl floors that have a softer feel under foot. They can also be installed without glue and in some cases can be installed right over the existing vinyl. Hope that helps.

Advertisement

baltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #3

I will check out the Tarkett/Domco floors you mentioned (I'm still trying for softest available - dad wants to come back to work, but has had numerous broken bones, and ANY cushioning will help - can't afford to have old vinyl taken off, so must work w/ what goes on top). I'm very glad you've worked w/ both floors - only 1 salesperson has mentioned the Konecto, and he didn't have much enthusiasm (it's new to him apparently), so I was a little leery. It sounds great on the web, but.... (1) Is it really as easy to install as they show? The landlord wants prof. installed (most of my budget), (2) would you expect it to be the same install cost (about 2.25 sq.ft)? And (3), floor looks like it may go down slightly at perimeter (but may just be old dark hairy baseboard against lt. blue floor) - think Konecto wood pattern forgiving enough? Thanks again!
nat22 is offline   Reply With Quote