DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

need advise on refinishing a wood floor

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  EPERRINGTON 
#1 ·
I have a fairly new (4yrs) solid wood (Brazilian Cherry) floor that was installed in the house before we bought it. Now that we ahve been here for about a year we have light scratches (urethane coat only) from our young kids and it appears that part of the urethane is coming up in places. Mostly around the baseboard, scratches, or where the seams of the boards meet. I really hate to have to sand the floor to bare wood because when this floor was pre-stained it was stained with many different cherry colors.

Any thoughts on what to do to fix the scratches in the floor or to fix where the urthane is coming up from the floor. I was thinking I could lightly sand the clear coat and put a new urethane back on, but wasn't sure how to go about this process or what urethane to use.

#2 ·
To recoat this floor rent a square floor buffer and use 100 grit sand paper to scuff the surface. Do not let the sander set still, keep it moving. After scratching the surface vaccum the dust up. Then you can put another coat of poly over the top. I would put 2 coats on. Sanding between coats.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on what to do around the baseboard to keep it from having the urethane sticking to the baseboard and floor. I think what happened is the previous owners placed that last coat of urethane on after the baseboard was installed. Now with shifting, expansion, contraction, etc......some urethane has pulled up along the baseboard. How about where the urethane is coming up at the seems inbetween boards. Is this coming up because the previous coat was not sanded properly, therefore, the last coat of urethane didn't adhere?

Any help is appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.