Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #1

Share |

Need advice on what easy to install / inexpensive flooring options for bathroom floor

I have water damage in my bathroom from my tub leaking. I have carpet in the bathroom (i know, weird flooring, condo came that way) and will need to remove it.

I need an inexpensive yet very easy to install flooring suggestion. Please let me know what you think I should use and where you can buy it.

Also, any suggestions on removing the carpet?

How do I make sure the carpet meets the new flooring in a cosmetically acceptable way?

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it. Never removed carpet before, never installed flooring, so this will be a first for me. Thanks so much.

amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Need advice on what easy to install / inexpensive flooring options for bathroom floor

Need more info. Glue down carpet? rubberback or actionbac? Stretch-in over pad? Inexpensive, would be peel & stick tiles, but won't last if they get wet a lot.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #3

Rusty, do u think this guy could benefit from Allure???
FloorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPro View Post
Rusty, do u think this guy could benefit from Allure???
Depends on what he means by inexpensive. He can get enough peel and stick at a dollar store for $20.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #5

Dont forget its a bathroom and around alot of water... He would have to install underlayment to give the peel and stick something strong to adhere to... Peeland stick sucks most of the time
Old 06-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

It's crap, but people use it. Whether he has to underlay or not depends on what is under the carpet.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #7

Thanks so much, I guess to answer your questions, I am looking for something that won't cost more than $100 in supplies and flooring. The bathroom floor is only about 20 to 25 square feet.

I can post pics if that will help. My first main concern is about how to properly remove it so that when I put in the new flooring, the hallway carpet will mesh with the new flooring. I don't know if that makes sense, but I want to make sure when the two types of flooring meet (since the hallway carpet is currently the same piece of carpet in the bathroom) that it looks good. And I know that my removal of the bathroom carpet will play a role in that.
amodoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Well, if the carpet has a pad under it, you just cut it loose where it would be under the door and pull it up. Then you pull up the pad and staples. Take up the tackstrip. What you do next depends on the shape of the subfloor. If it's glue down, what you do depends on the backing. If it's regular carpet backing you pull it up. If it has a rubber backing, you pull the top off and scrape the rest. Not much else to tell you untill you see the subfloor.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #9

Just use a carpet metal to transition from carpet to new floor... They make gold, silver, pewter and even some wood veneer flat metals to use...
Old 06-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Just make sure you cut it under the door, so with the door shut you can't see what is on the other side.