Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice with subfloor.

Vinyl tile help!!!
I am going to replace our flooring in the kitchen and purchased 12x24 Trafficmaster Ceramica vinyl tiles.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/floorin...se-167038.html

They are peel and stick with rounded edges for grouting (which I intend to do). I currently have a sheet of vinyl or linoleum on the floor now. My dilemma is.... Do I rip it up and clean up the plywood for direct application? Or do I go right over it? It is very well adhered to plywood and I would prefer to go over top. However, if I go over current flooring, should I use an embossing leveler? It is very slightly embossed. I know I could prob get some Luan and put it down but it's more work, more money, and I could run in to a height prob with connecting rooms and kitchen counters and dishwasher. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Ps6fsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps6fsu View Post
...flooring in the kitchen and purchased 12x24 Trafficmaster Ceramica vinyl tiles.
Thoughts?
Return them for credit...
then get vinyl SHEET flooring installed.

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp
Return them for credit...
then get vinyl SHEET flooring installed.
Thanks for not helping. Why waste your time posting? If I wanted 1980's flooring I would just keep what I have.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 250

Ps6, You can go on top ... however, it depends on the thickness and type of tile. Some "soft" tiles are comfortable but tend to follow every flaw in the floor below. If the old flooring is relatively smooth, then I would not remove it. Talk to your folks at H.D. (where you purchased the product) and/or some other flooring store ... for their advice. Personally, I have done both but by tearing up the old floor it becomes a lot more work and you may have to re-surface the subfloor, especially if you pull up some chunks of glue/wood.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey
Ps6, You can go on top ... however, it depends on the thickness and type of tile. Some "soft" tiles are comfortable but tend to follow every flaw in the floor below. If the old flooring is relatively smooth, then I would not remove it. Talk to your folks at H.D. (where you purchased the product) and/or some other flooring store ... for their advice. Personally, I have done both but by tearing up the old floor it becomes a lot more work and you may have to re-surface the subfloor, especially if you pull up some chunks of glue/wood.
Thanks mark. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Tearing up the floor would probably leave me in worse shape than now with glue and paper left behind. The current floor is relatively smooth and secured very well without any spots peeling up or damaged.... Just ugly. I asked the guys at home depot who told me u definitely cannot put this floor on top of existing vinyl or linoleum. Then I read the manufacturer's instructions that state.....

"Many successful installations have been made over existing vinyl floors. In such cases the existing tile or sheet vinyl floor must be securely adhered to the subfloor, smooth, and free of surface de- fects and wax. Loose or damaged areas should be patched or re- placed. Do not sand existing vinyl floors under any circumstances."
Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,990

Well I hate to say it but I also would not install any form of peel and stick over any floor.
It tends to shrink and gaps open up where water can get in. It should have a perfectly flat hard surface to stick to, which your is not, The instant it touches it grabs and make alignment a chore.
I'm not just a weekend DIY I work on house for a living.
If I was offed this job to do that way I would pass knowing it's not going to work out for the long run.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
TarheelTerp (01-14-2012)
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 250

Ps6, I echo Joecap's comment. I am not fussy about the single peel & stick tiles because they tend to seperate over time and, especially if the floor isn't completely level. They do last for wear & tear and if your nor overly concerned about the fianl outcome, ...go for it. I would just be concerned about where you are installing them, the amount of traffic and what you expect as a final look. There are some other "stick together" products that you might concider. I think Allure is the brand name at H.D. and they are easy to install. Same issue with joints but much more forgiving during installation. Good luck.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,990

I have Allour in my own kitchen and love it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
I have Allour in my own kitchen and love it.
Thanks guys for all your advice. My main concern is making the kitchen look good for resale value without spending a fortune or doing too much work. We will not be here in 3 yrs so I'm not so concerned with the long term aspects. I will look into some other products that may work.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 546

I've torn out a lot of vinyl.

I knew one guy who bought some vinyl and installed it. Always wondered about that guy.

I've installed a lot of ceramic and wood. I can't think of anyone's house that has any vinyl in it.

But I guess it is in use out there.

I was looking to buy some oak window casing the other day. There was a special on some prefinished oak casing. I thought it might be ok as long as I didn't try to mix it with the normal stuff I finish on sight. So the guy shows me some and it is really osb with some vinyl sheeting on it as the "finish". I told the guy that I would be laughed out of town if I used that stuff.

If you could find some of the hairy necks who buy this stuff, they can probably tell you all about the vinyl flooring as well.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

I have a friend who does custom cabinets and some renos in Vancouver. He likes the ceramica. He's installed it on several jobs. One time he got a call. They dinged a couple of tiles moving in a new fridge. He went over with his heat gun, lifted the old tiles dropped the new ones in place.

He uses it in his own house in the basement and in an upstairs bathroom.

One of the things he likes about it: Due to its thickness and stiffness, it doesn't telegraph textures from the old floor. So the surface prep is reduced.

Is it ceramic? No. Is it ugly? I don't like all the colors. Is there much selection? No, but you only need to find one color you like.

Face it: After a week will you even notice the floor?

sgbotsford is offline   Reply With Quote