NEED ADVICE: Moved Into New Apt, Ceiling Vibrating Out Of Control! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

NEED ADVICE: Moved into new apt, ceiling vibrating out of control!

Hey guys, need your advice. I recently moved into a 2nd floor apartment in a 3 floor building. It is a 148-unit studio apartment complex to give you an idea of the scale. I noticed that whenever my upstairs neighbor walks around a particular portion of her studio, her floor/my ceiling shakes/rattles/vibrates out of control. There is very poor insulation to begin with between the floors, but this is something else.

At first I thought the person above me was a 300-lb former NFL offensive lineman walking around in steel-toed boots. But alas it turns out, my upstairs neighbor is a woman, about 5-2 around 130 lbs. I could not fathom how one person could make so much noise without dropping weights or bouncing a ball, or literally jumping up and down. But she assures me, she is not doing anything out of the ordinary.

So my question is, is this a case of a floor board in disrepair? I have lived in apartments before, and I have never heard of floor/ceiling transfer so much noise and vibration between two floors before. I would like to know what you guys think is wrong with the flooring that would cause the noise that I described, so that when I go to management they don't think I am a total nutcase. Experts, please chime in! Like I said, the girl upstairs says she is just walking, but for me one floor below it sounds like a weight is being dropped the way the floor/ceiling buzzes and shakes.

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

AtWitsEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

NEED ADVICE: Moved into new apt, ceiling vibrating out of control!

I have lived in an apt like that, that was a tough time. It sounds like there is no insulation, weak floor and some more things wrong with the floor.

Advertisement

picflight is offline   Reply With Quote