Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #1

Share |

Need advice on cutting carpet

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make a perfectly straight cut on a carpet so when I butt up too pieces together they fit perfectly together. I have two 12 feet pieces of carpet and the edges on them are either not perfectly straight or some of the threading is a little loose making it noticeable when they come together. They are very thin. Can anyone give me some advice here? thnx

Krichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Is there any way you can cut them at the same time back to back? The cut would need on need to be fairly straight and smooth, not perfect. When they are laid out, they will mate perfectly.

RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
Is there any way you can cut them at the same time back to back? The cut would need on need to be fairly straight and smooth, not perfect. When they are laid out, they will mate perfectly.
Not if you do them back to back. If you want them to mate perfectly, regardless of how curvey or crooked your cut is, you need to cut them one on top of the other. Front to back (both with the fuzzy side up).
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #4

I don't understand how that will allow me to mate them perfectly. If I make a cut along the edges of both carpets with one on top of the other it would give me two identical crooked edges.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #5

not sure what you are wanting to do with these. Are you going to seam them together? Anyway, if it is the sides of the carpet (following the rows) then you can get a row finder and a seam cutter to cut these straight. Be advised that carpet is rarely if ever perfectly straight, but it will be straight enough to seam. If it is an end to end seam, use a straight edge and a VERY sharp utility knife. (note you will need to seal the ends or it will eventually unravel)
jdh321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
Do, undo, then do right

A carpet knife, which looks like a utility knife, but (usually) non-retractable, uses thinner, much sharper blades, and does a clean and easy job. No double/triple cutting, no unraveling threads- it's like a surgeon's scalpel, cuts through everything- but watch your fingers (and whatever is under the carpet)!
BilHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 PM   #7

I found a tool that might help me. It's called an invisiseamer. But it's not sold anywhere which is unfortunate because I have no idea how you make perfect cuts along the edge of a carpet to make it match with another. I looked up what a row finder was and there is just no comparison. http://carpetfitters.biz/flooring-fo...p?showtopic=30
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
I don't understand how that will allow me to mate them perfectly. If I make a cut along the edges of both carpets with one on top of the other it would give me two identical crooked edges.
If you have two pieces of carpet lay them across the area where you want them to lie in the end. One is on the left, the other on the right, and they meet in the middle and overlap by one foot. Cut through both where they overlap. Remove the two thin strips that result from the cut. The two big pieces of carpet will now mate perfectly, even if cut in an S-curve.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #9

Nate already said this, but if it's unclear to you I'll try to explain it a different way (not very different tho really).

- Lay the two pieces of carpet on the floor as they will be installed.
- Let one overlap the other by...well..however much it overlaps it I guess.
- Cut both pieces at the same time anywhere in the area that they are overlapped.
- Take the scrap piece from the top.
- Slide the scrap piece out from under the "upper" piece.
- Lay them together and they will fit together perfectly, even if your cut isn't perfect.

Any "curves" in your cut are in both pieces, so it don't matter. (just don't get too carried away...try to stay as straight as possible)

EDIT: I was typing while you were Nate...and I guess you're faster.

Oh well, I'll leave it anyway...lol.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #10

I should probably mention that the color on either piece don't match, that's why I wanted to know how to make as straight a cut as possible but thanks for the advice so far. Also the carpets are very thin as I noted in my first post so that leaves very little room for error which I'm almost positive will occur.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #11

So lay them on top of eachother, as I described, and use a board/straightedge/level, whatever, as a guide to cut the carpet with a knife.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:39 PM   #12

Quote:
I should probably mention that the color on either piece don't match
If the colors don't match, aren't you going to have a threshold of some kind? Is this all in one room or through a doorway or what?
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
If the colors don't match, aren't you going to have a threshold of some kind? Is this all in one room or through a doorway or what?
One room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
So lay them on top of eachother, as I described, and use a board/straightedge/level, whatever, as a guide to cut the carpet with a knife.
I suppose I may have to settle for this if there are no other alternatives. I just don't feel confident in my ability to make a mistake free cut.

Last edited by Krichton; 11-14-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krichton View Post
I suppose I may have to settle for this if there are no other alternatives. I just don't feel confident in my ability to make a mistake free cut.
This really isn't as difficult as you're making it out to be. Make sure you've got a really sharp knife, and make the cut in one motion, if possible. Use a 2x4 as a straightedge.

You'll do fine!