DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Natural Slate tile

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  R&D Tile 
#1 ·
So I am REmodeling my Kitchen and I am to the tile. I am an experienced carpenter, rough and finish, so I dont have a question on the actual install.

However, I have never installed Natrual Slate tile, and Im not really sure of a few things:

How should I go about grouting the tile, the surface is rough and pourous?

What is a good color for a natural slate tile , that is not too dark? Tile has many colors throughout but is for the most part grey.

Thanks for the help- Adam

#2 ·
You won't float the grout over the full surface, rather you need to use a grout bag--it looks like a big cake decorating bag. It's also handy to have a little trowel flout (the kind that are about 1.5"x4" or so), you can use that to help pack the grout into the joints if needed. You'll still get some "mess" on the edges of the slate, but it's much easier to clean up than the whole tile.
Good Luck.

#3 ·
The color is up to you, maybe a dark gray or charcoal color.:)

As for grouting, what was said above would help, but I think those grout bags for grouting are a waste of time, first thing is to give that stone at least 2 coats of a good sealer, then grout with a normal float and use the short edge if you like to pack it in without going over the whole tile if possible, with slate, do a small section at a time and get right on it and clean it, then continue, don't let it get ahead of yourself.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.