Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

Share |

Name that wood?

Hi all,

I am admittedly ignorant on types of wood and wood flooring, so please bear with me. Most of my house is done in the lighter wood (bottom of picture), but two bedrooms are done in the darker wood. This darker wood also has larger grooves than the lighter wood. What types of wood are they? Would it be possible to refinish the darker color to match the lighter color?
Attached Images

scottyv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Name that wood?

both look like oak to me....it also looks like they are the same, it's just that one has been refinished more recently. Yes, if you wanted to make them identical, then refinish both. If you don't mind a bit of difference, just sand and finish the darker color flooring.

My guess is that at one time there was carpeting over the darker floor and when the previous owner refinished the floors, they didn't bother tearing up the old carpet to do all of them.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Name that wood?

Both look like white oak to me to. You would be better off going from light to dark instead of dark to light. If you want it lighter that wood would have to be sanded down below the stain. with a light stain a light sanding to remove the sealer and with more stain it can go darker with no problum.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Name that wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv81 View Post
Hi all,

I am admittedly ignorant on types of wood and wood flooring, so please bear with me. Most of my house is done in the lighter wood (bottom of picture), but two bedrooms are done in the darker wood. This darker wood also has larger grooves than the lighter wood. What types of wood are they? Would it be possible to refinish the darker color to match the lighter color?
They're all oak. And yes, you can sand down the darker ones and use "natural" stain on them. You likely won't get all the darker stain out of the grain, but it'll be close.

Sanding & refinishing those floors won't be particularly difficult. It's not like you're pulling up epoxy paint. Enjoy the work, and enjoy the results!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #5

Name that wood?

Thanks for the identification! There are tack holes along the trim on the dark oak, so it was definitely carpeted at some point. The darker oak also has beveled edges, so there appears to be a larger gap between the boards. The natural oak just has straight edges and is butted together. The previous homeowner installed the lighter oak, but the darker was pre-existing. I think I'll leave it for now, and when its time to refinish the light oak, maybe we'll just choose a stain that's in between. Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Name that wood?

We just bought the house a year ago and all the wood was already installed. If I had to guess, I'd say the dark oak was installed when the house was built (1972), or shortly after that. There are some other trim pieces on the stair railings that match the dark oak too. At some point dark oak floors got covered with carpet. The previous homeowners did a lot of remodeling in the early 1990s so I'd guess that's when the lighter oak was put in. I can't think of a reason for the different color stains other than they didn't want to refinish the darker floors. Or maybe the carpet was still there when they installed the new floors, and maybe they didn't realize there were wood floors in those two rooms.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #7

Name that wood?

I don't think they are different stains....I think one is just VERY old and the other has been refinished within the last few years. I have the same floors and similar situation except mine are even of greater contrast (much darker). Someday if the next owners ever pull the carpet up in our room, they'll see the same thing....we just decided to stop our refinishing while entering the living room.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #8

Name that wood?

Both look like red oak. The reason they look different is because they were installed at different times. You may also be dealing with a stain. The seam is a give away; if the floors were installed at the same time there would not be a gap. There was probably carpet over the lighter colored floor, then it was torn up and the oak was installed.

yaemish is offline   Reply With Quote