DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

nails, staples or cleats?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  toolbelt Tina 
#1 ·
ok guys help me out...

I am attempting to install 3/4 hardwood oak.
I will be using a compressor and flooring hammer.

What size length of nails should I use I was figuring on 1 1/2 inch. Some areas I have water lines under the subfloor.

What do I use nails or staples? How many per board? I am using utility
and therefore some of my pieces are only 8".

#2 ·
Utility grade with a lot of shorts will only take 2-3 nails per board. I use 2" floor nails. They go in at an angle & you'll only get about 1/4" blow through the back of 3/4" plywood. the only time I use 1 1/2" nails on 3/4" hardwood is if there's radiant heat, or the subfloor is secured directly to the concrete.

#3 · (Edited)
agree with pinwheel, I prefer 2" staples,
always hit each end of a board within 2", and the middle, so 8" boards would have 2 (or 3 if your like me and say the more the merrier ), and every 8" or so on longer boards (6" if your like me, but this might be overkill).

Don't be cheep on the amount, might take a longer time, but you'll apreciate the extra fasteners forever.

good luck,

#5 ·
Second the 2 staples...and however many you think you'll need...put more. Every board was nailed ~2" from the ends, and ~6 in between. I use a boat load of staples on my floor, and still have a couple of persistent little squeaks...but that wood floor for ya!

#7 ·
thanks guys

sorry for not replying I was at the cottage plugging away at all the little jobs. No internet and spotty cell coverage at best. Ah nature.

Thanks for the advice.

I bought nails and cleats would have bought the staples too but didn't find them at Lowes. Are they regular staples or hardwood floor specific staples?

I am afraid because many said that generic staples or nails might not perform in your gun. Are they hardware specific?

#8 ·
I would suggest staples, since you might want to avoid puncturing water lines with deep nails. There is also the option of using glue, which can easily be used on concrete.
XXXXXX.com
I have thought about the water lines. I am going to predrill and use a shorter nail driven by hand around the water lines.

Even though I have a concrete slab I put down a plywood subfloor over 2x4s.

When you use glue with wood floor do you glue the bottom as well as the joints?

Felt paper is that stapled down or placed loosely and taped?

Thanks Tina

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.