Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Nailer too strong?

Hey guys!

I am about 100sf into a 900sf project. I am experiencing tongue splitting on about 1/3 of all the nails I put in this stuff. I have read contradicting views of what should be done here...some say to oil the nails, some say invest in a lighter duty nailer and nail, some say it will be fine the way it is. I have added duct tape to the base plate to get the cleat backed up a bit, but it still lands out of the pocket (and splits tongue). I can't add anymore tape because the nailer barley catches the edge of the plank as it is now. I can get the boards to meet up ok if I scrape out the broken bits. This is not an emergency by any means, the floor looks great so far, I'm just worried about cracking and creaks in the future.

Details:

1/2" sandalwood/pressed Mazama/BuildDirect 5" wide

Subfloor is 3/4" OSB very low moisture

Harbor Freight pneumatic nailer w/ 2" L shaped cleats

I am in NC. It will be very humid this summer.

I believe I have followed all of the manufacturers instructions.

http://www.builddirect.com/Hardwood-..._10090528.aspx

Thanks again. This site is great!

Last edited by joemontana16; 05-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 322

Nailer too strong?

You need a smaller nailer with a base set for 1/2". Your big one will just continue to blow out the tongues....and think about staples instead of the L shaped. Ron

Last edited by ront02769; 05-08-2014 at 05:36 PM.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Nailer too strong?

I'm using the same HF nailer with cleats but on 5/8" solid Bamboo....I've had a couple of tongue's split.

But for any thinner wood....yea....staples...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nailer too strong?

I agree that cleats for 1/2" wood is way too thick a gage. The instructions mention 15 gage nails or staples.

Also, industry standards say that any wood 5" and wider should also be glued in addition to fastening. No mention of that in the Maxama installation sheet though. Are you installing over felt paper?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

Nailer too strong?

I would try angling the nails more and standing on both sides and nailing between your feet

Last edited by Robpo; 05-08-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
JOATMON

Nailer too strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
I would try angling the nails more.
Well....if he is using the same HF floor nailer I am....kind of hard to do....angle is fixed.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
JOATMON

Nailer too strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
I agree that cleats for 1/2" wood is way too thick a gage. The instructions mention 15 gage nails or staples.

Also, industry standards say that any wood 5" and wider should also be glued in addition to fastening. No mention of that in the Maxama installation sheet though. Are you installing over felt paper?

Jaz
Jaz....how would one glue is using felt?

I'm close to doing my stair treads with the bamboo....I used felt for the floor but I was NOT going to use felt on the stairs...lots of glue and nail in a couple of key places.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Nailer too strong?

I am installing over felt #30 for a little more cushion. I have read that the humid summers and dry winters in NC will crack most flooring if glued and nailed. There is so much conflicting info on the internet!!

I have added some height to the bottom plate and things are going better, although I might go check out a different nailer tomorrow. Can you guys recommend a smaller gauge gun that would be good for 1/2" planks?

Aren't 15 gauge nails the same as cleats?
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Nailer too strong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Jaz....how would one glue is using felt?
You wouldn't of course. One reason I bought 4" instead of wider planks. Even my 4" suggested the option of also gluing. Of course if you go with wide and want/need to also glue, you can use a liquid applied membrane/glue.

You don't want or need tarpaper on the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I am installing over felt #30 for a little more cushion. I have read that the humid summers and dry winters in NC will crack most flooring if glued and nailed. There is so much conflicting info on the internet!!
I would have used 15lb, Does Maxama say 30lb? More cushion? You don't want cushion in hard floor coverings. You need to monitor the humidity levels all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
There is so much conflicting info on the internet!!
Tell me about it........ Don't believe what you see/read on the internet, except. What the manufacturer say, and what we say here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Aren't 15 gauge nails the same as cleats?
I've only used 2" cleats on 3/4" hardwood. Cleats come in various gages, 16 & 18 seem to be common. The instructions say 15 gage, so..............Many installers like staples better.

Can we see a couple of pics of how the cleat hits the tongue?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote