Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #1

Share |

Nailer for hardwood end rows

One room done, but those first two and last three rows took, I swear, an hour each. What with the pre-drilling and hand nailing. Time to invest in another tool, I believe.

So the question becomes: 15-gauge finish nailer or palm nailer?

Having used neither, the palm nailer looks like it could be used closer to the wall I'm blind nailing towards - but would I still need to pre-drill (3/4 hickory)? A nice, pneumatic finish nailer sounds like it would eliminate pre-drilling, but would I find myself back hand-nailing that next-to-last row? With a palm nailer, would I still be pulling out the nail set and hammer to set the nails?

Or is there another way that I'm overlooking?
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2

finish nailer, 15 or 16 gauge. usually with a finish nailer you can get a few courses nailing the tongue before you have to face nail.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-05-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #3

I have been using one of these since they came on the market about 6 months ago. They will nail the tounge to within 4-5" of the wall. I only have to face nail the last board except on 2 and 1/4" flooring, where I have to glue the 2nd one from the wall and then nail the last board. This is a flooring palm nailer the=at shots L-cletes.

http://www.chicagohardwoodflooring.c...ail-power-palm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

Would I still need to set cleats installed with a palm nailer?

Is there a difference between the $150 nailer you linked and, say, one that costs half as much from the BORG? If the difference is the ability to use cleats instead of finish nails, is there a real difference (e.g. movement differences that would show up somehow)?
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

You cannot use a regular palm nailer. They use a nail with a head, not a finish nail. This would split the wood. The clet palm nailer sets the nail flush with the tounge.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
You cannot use a regular palm nailer. They use a nail with a head, not a finish nail. This would split the wood. The clet palm nailer sets the nail flush with the tounge.
I'm curious here. Does the nailer you're referring to work equally well on face nailing? Can it drive a face-nailed L-cleat through 3/4-inch hardwood without pre-drilling? If so, is there a need for any hand nailing anywhere on the floor?
SleazyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

It can drive a clete through the face of the 3/4" wood. The only problem I have with it, is that it will not get close enough to be covered by the base board. It would have to be filled. I don't like filler.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
It can drive a clete through the face of the 3/4" wood. The only problem I have with it, is that it will not get close enough to be covered by the base board. It would have to be filled. I don't like filler.
Nor do I. I guess it still beats hand nailing 3 or 4 courses when the nailer won't fit.
But I also wonder how expansion comes into play. I've read many warnings about failure to leave 3/4 inch at the edge of the floor for expansion, but how does this movement take place when the starting or ending boards are nailed?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

The hardwood expands and contracts at the same extent. With most base board being 3/8" to 5/8" you can not get the 3/4" gap you need around the edge. To install the wood properly you have to cut the bottom of the dry wall or add shoe mold. With most houses being climate controlled, (heat in the winter and AC in the summer), you can get by with a lessor gap, but it is not reccomended by any manufacturer.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
SleazyRider (12-24-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #10

I used one of these http://www.powernail.com/home/model445sn.htm
They also have a manual top nailer. http://www.powernail.com/home/model101sn.htm

I've also used a finish nailer, but the powernailer provids better holding power, with the cleats.
Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
SleazyRider (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
I've read many warnings about failure to leave 3/4 inch at the edge of the floor for expansion, but how does this movement take place when the starting or ending boards are nailed?

Expanding wood, over the length of the room, can create enough pressure to pull or bend cleats or nails.
Seattle2k is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seattle2k For This Useful Post:
SleazyRider (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle2k View Post
Expanding wood, over the length of the room, can create enough pressure to pull or bend cleats or nails.

This normally would only happen in extreme water (not just moisture) present. I have seen a gymnasium floor buckle 4 feet in the air when a water line busted.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodman58 For This Useful Post:
SleazyRider (12-25-2012)
Old 12-25-2012, 08:15 AM   #13

I would go with the finish nailer, it may be a little more PITA now but unless you are planning on doing a lot more flooring you won't have a lot of use for the palm nailer later. While a finish nailer could see a lot of use in the future for different projects.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #14

I agree with tool seeker. You would likely find uses for a regular nailer in the future. Whereas the palm nailer probably wouldn't get much use after this.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awoodfloorguy For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-25-2012)
Old 12-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I would go with the finish nailer, it may be a little more PITA now but unless you are planning on doing a lot more flooring you won't have a lot of use for the palm nailer later. While a finish nailer could see a lot of use in the future for different projects.
Good point, sir. Heck, why don't these Powernail palm nailers come with interchangable hammers to allow you to use them for both purposes? The machinist that lives within me wants to make an adapter so that the Powernailer can accommodate a regular hammer head.

Last edited by SleazyRider; 12-26-2012 at 04:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SleazyRider For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-26-2012)