Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Is my wood laminate floor installed correctly?

I have a loan with a county low income program for home repairs. A contractor has installed a Pergo wood laminate floor in my kitchen. Parts of his installation seem wrong to me and I would like advice about proper installation. The inspector will be coming soon to see his work and I need to be informed.
He tore the mouldings off the wall before installing the flooring and most of the boards appear to begin under the moulding. However, one board does not and there is a gap between the moulding and the board, visible and large enough for your fingernail to enter. Is this acceptable?
He must have run out of material or perhaps didn't want to open another package near the end. Instead of installing a normal plank in a spot near the dining room entrance, he used scraps. There are four rectangles, the first one 2" by 8", the next one 6" by 8", the third one 26" by 8", and the last one 7" by 8" laid side by side to form a board. Of course, the patterns of the woods do not match at all. There are seams across the grain that may have been glued down. It looks noticeably wrong to me.
Sorry I don't have a camera to take pictures. Hope the description is enough.
Are these proper in installing wood laminate? How would I suggest to the inspector that they be corrected?
I appreciate your input!

Last edited by sljacobs; 09-17-2009 at 11:57 AM.
sljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

there should be no gaps at all.
however.....it could be the fault of thin molding or warped walls.
if the gap was caused even though he left 1/4 expansion, then he stuck to the rules.
what needs to be determined is why the gap.
maybe a bad cut....that can be fixed.

scraps are always used on a job, however if it's unecessary, then that would be lame.
it takes just as much work to use a small scrap as it would to cut a whole board, so I do not see the motive.
a picture would help, but I understand

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Scraps near the edges are OK as long as they go under the molding
But 4 small scraps in a row ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your replies.

To Quote: "scraps are always used on a job, however if it's unecessary, then that would be lame.
it takes just as much work to use a small scrap as it would to cut a whole board, so I do not see the motive."

The four scraps, side-by-side, go across the entrance from the kitchen to the dining room. It was near the end of the installation. I believe that he did it that way to avoid either buying one more box of planks or opening the spare box and therefore not being able to get money back for it at Lowe's. That was the motive.

Question: Can the four scraps be removed and one plank of a normal length be installed at this point?

As to the gap, the molding was removed, planks installed under the molding, except for the one. It begins inside the room, about 1/4 inch beyond the molding. The gap is between the molding and the start of the plank.

Can that section be removed and redone? Or does the whole floor have to be done again?

Thanks!
sljacobs is offline   Reply With Quote