Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

My baseboards aren't working

I bought bamboo baseboards to go with my bamboo flooring (big mistake)- but now that I'm halfway through, I don't see starting over.

All the diy websites and books treat baseboards like an afterthought, and the only thing they focus on is coping the inside corners and mitering the outside corners. So, I've got that down.

Here's my problem: I can't figure out how to nail them so they stay flat against the walls- I can't find the studs in most of my walls (my studfinder either finds the entire base of the wall as a stud, or none of it - I try to follow studs down from further up, but the studfinder blinks off when it gets near the floor). I'm using molding glue and nails, nails positioned ~10" or so and at the ends, and using 2" nails so they'll go through the wood behind the drywall. Nothing is working. And it's starting to really look like crap.

The small pieces worked fine, but the long walls are really a pain. Any suggestions are welcome.

preciouschristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

My baseboards aren't working

Most of the time studs are 16 inches on center, at least in the U.S. If you find the center of one stud, you can drop a plumb bob to find the bottom of the stud. If they are 16" OC, just mark off from there. If they are randomly spaced (this happens occasionally), locate the center of each stud about halfway up the wall using the studfinder, then drop a plumb bob to the bottom for each one. Much easier to find a stud halfway up the wall than near the bottom or top, as the plates may cause interference, as does cross bracing and diagonal bracing.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote