Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

My backsplash

THe wife and I seen some travertine 3x 6 wall tile that we are interested in using. The tile has some small holes in it and a bit of a galze to it. I was told natural stone needs to be sealed. DO I have to seal it since it has a bit of a glaze on it? can I use premixed mastic to adhere it to my walls? The walls are plastered walls from the 1950's.

shouldItryornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #2

My backsplash

Mastic should work fine but I do not know what to think when you say glaze....It's stone so there should be no glaze...hmmm...pics?
question is.....do you want the grout to fill the holes or not?
yes you will need to seal it in a backsplash especially in a Kitchen as there is alot of grease involved.

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

My backsplash

Yes, seal the tiles. Seal once before grouting and then afterwords. The sheen might be a result from the finishing process but should not be a glaze. I would also consider a grout color similar to the tiles. Because of the natural pores in the stone, grout WILL get in there. If you went with a contrasting grout color, you will see each other the holes because of the grout.
Mastic is acceptable however, I prefer a quality cement based thinset that you mix yourself. I personally would never use mastic.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:23 AM   #4

My backsplash

Thanks the stone has a bit of a sheen to one side of it so Thats why asked if it needs sealing. but ot be on the safe side I will seal it after its installed and hope the holes get filled before i grout it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorwizard View Post
Mastic should work fine but I do not know what to think when you say glaze....It's stone so there should be no glaze...hmmm...pics?
question is.....do you want the grout to fill the holes or not?
yes you will need to seal it in a backsplash especially in a Kitchen as there is alot of grease involved.
shouldItryornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 AM   #5

My backsplash

I dont think the sealer will fill the holes like that. If you use a grout float it will fill in the holes. If that is not want you want then use a grout bag. Kinda like a cake icer.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Tileguy

My backsplash

Not all, actually most mastic should not be used for natural stone tiles. There are a few that are made to work well though. Find the right one.

I used to think I had to seal both before and after grouting. Not true. Seal after it all cures, usually 3 days. Use a penetrating sealer if you do not want to change the appearance. A stone enhancer to darken and give it a sorta wet-look.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote