Multiple Room Plank Layout - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Multiple Room Plank Layout

I am looking at using 6x48" vinyl "hardwood" click-planks in three bedrooms, living room and connecting hallway. What is the best way to begin layout to transition from room to room? (Allure Ultra from HD)

This is a 1000 square foot ranch with around 650 ft^2 that will have the new flooring. All rooms are rectangular with the exception of one angled wall in the master bedroom and hallway. The living room is on the front of the house on the left, master bedroom on the right front. Two additional bedrooms are on the back right corner and back middle. All connect to the same L-shaped hallway.

I know for laying ceramic tile you start with a scribe line in the middle of the room and make sure you don't end up with a sliver of tile against a wall. The Allure Ultra snap together planks I am using say to start in the left corner and work right then back.

I was going to start in the back corner bedroom (because it is already empty) and go room by room as I have time, but am afraid that I will end up with odd angles or slivers of plank by the time I reach the front left of the house. Should I do each room individually and make some kind of transition in the hallway? Layout the entire house and hope for the best? Any advice is appreciated.

Advertisement

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 580

There's going to have to be a transition strip in the middle of every doorway right in the middle of the door stop moulding.
There is no way to run that style flooring through the door like that.
Alway start it along the longest wall in the room.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Doorways and closets are always "fun" to install click vinyl flooring in, because you have to engage it at a 10-15 degree angle. I had an angled wall and it wasn't too big a deal. If you find yourself with a small triangle, just use some colored silicone grout to install it, then put a nice table in that spot.

If you follow joe's advice, you can hide any small corrections at the transition.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote