Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Multiple hardwood questions

I want to tear out the carpet in my 2 story home and replace it with hardwood. There are a few things that are confusing me though and hopefully you fine folks can shed come light.

• Bathrooms, the fireplace and the kitchen have tile that is roughly the same height as wood (3/4"). How do I transition? I have seen where folks run a strip along the length of the tile (the edge of the tile is decorative, so I want to avoid a T), but I don't see how that locks in with the rest of the wood floor. Or is there a better method?
Here is an example I found on another forum: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...sportland3.jpg

• Does no one make prefinished risers? I prefer to use prefinished everything so I can do the install myself. I have two flights of steps and would love to match the riser to the treads. The stair nose is easy enough to find, but risers seem to be a challenge. Or is it OK to just face nail hardwood floor strips to the riser? Is that hokey?
  • Despite the sticky on this forum, who makes a decent prefinished hardwood? Is it safe to buy from a box store as I know with many products they cheapen the big box version? I am thinking at this point Armstrong Oak is a good bet as they seem to have a lot of the trim accessories (no risers though ) that will make the DIY aspect less painful.
  • For a novice such as myself, how much overage would it be advisable to order? 5%?

Last edited by Bubbagump; 04-14-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote