Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Share |

mudded shower floor

my question is how to tile over a mudded shower bed. I have had the shower worked on by 2 different guys who were total jokes at my expense. finally I had to just hire a plumber who had to tear out the floor so now I am trying to do it myself.

I checked a web site on "how to build a shower". Products used were not clearly stated so I asked a few people at the supply store. After the mudding of the floor bed, it does not say what product to use to lay tile.

The shower area is approx 3 x5 with a wood subfloor not sure whether 1/2 or 3/4 . I installed felt tar paper,lath,mud,liner and more mud.

I mixed "quickrete all purpose sand with quikrete concrete mix 4-1 parts.The concrete mix has some small rocks in it (I sifted out the larger ones). Have I used the wrong kind? Should I use the versa bond thin set mortar on top to adhere tile? what should I do? Help!

Last edited by ole christine; 06-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
ole christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
DIY staff

mudded shower floor

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

This link shows one of the most frequently used methods of building a lined mudded base--

Can you show us the work so far?

Or better describe what is complete?

JetSwet (06-26-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #3

mudded shower floor

Thanks Oh Mike for response...so here are the pics

Last edited by ole christine; 06-28-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: ok not sure how to download pics
Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
DIY staff

mudded shower floor

Keep trying--the pictures didn't post--Mike---
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Tileguy

mudded shower floor

Christine,

That is the wrong mix to use for a shower base, but it might still be ok. How did it turn out? Do you have a nice slope. is it solid?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

mudded shower floor

I'll get a fresh set of brains to get these pics loaded...I keep getting messages of "files to large". Thanks for your patience and eagerness to help.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #7

mudded shower floor

its solid and i think the slope is good.it has harden and turned whitish-like cement. I'm not able to post the pictures after trying several times.I just want to make sure the mix will work and what adhesive to use at this point and will the or should I just tear it out again.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #8

mudded shower floor

ok hope this picture comes thru.mudded shower floor-mix-pics-027.jpg
Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

mudded shower floor

You used quickrete so taking back out is limited option I think and is way to porous to lay tile on, Jaz might correct me on that but to me looks like it wasn't fully mixed with a paddle making the lumpy look nor was it floated properly.

Last edited by JetSwet; 06-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Tileguy

mudded shower floor

Christine & Jet,

Jet, Quikrete is the name of the company, they makes hundreds of products.

The product we us is Sand Topping Mix http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandToppingMix.asp - not concrete mix. You actually want the base to be porous, concrete mix can be troweled to a dense smooth almost shiny finish which is not what you want. Sand Topping Mix is mixed very dry and is placed, compacted then shaved to the desired slope.

I know you said it's in there, but I see no evidence of the membrane. Hope you didn't make holes into it when the backer board was installed. I also don't see the seams of the backer having been taped and thin set applied. How come I'm seeing 3" piece in the corners of the back wall?

If you're satisfied with the deck mud Versabond will bond the tiles just fine.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #11

mudded shower floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Christine & Jet,

Jet, Quikrete is the name of the company, they makes hundreds of products.

The product we us is Sand Topping Mix http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandToppingMix.asp - not concrete mix. You actually want the base to be porous, concrete mix can be troweled to a dense smooth almost shiny finish which is not what you want. It is mixed very dry and is placed, compacted then shaved to the desired slope.

I know you said it's in there, but I see no evidence of the membrane. Hope you didn't make holes into it when the backer board was installed. I also don't see the seams of the backer having been taped and thin set applied. How come I'm seeing 3" piece in the corners of the back wall?

If you're satisfied with the deck mud Versabond will bond the tiles just fine.

Jaz
Thanks for clarifying that Jaz so Christine turned the cement into deck mud more or less with out actually using the actual product deck mud?
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #12

mudded shower floor

Jaz
the membrane is under the mud and tacked approx 6" up to the frame. (don't you just love it that I don't know the correct terms)The green sheet rock board is installed, followed by the cement board. The cement board was not wide enough so I cut it thinking perhaps i could fill in the gaps with some kind silicone?? I was careful to put the screws no lower than 6 inches from the base. Now that the mud is dry, it is not smooth-should i use a lil sand/top mix to create the slope the versa bond for tile??
Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Tileguy

mudded shower floor

Sounds like you did the pre-slope with a 1/4" per ft. slope towards the drain, right? Then installed the shower membrane being careful not to fasten and therefore puncture it. There should not be any fasteners below 3" above the finished level of the curb. (Oh well) How is the curb built? If built with lath and mortar mix, make sure the fasteners are only on the outside of the curb, not the top or inside. If the curb is made from backer board you must apply a waterproofing liquid membrane over the top. All seams of the backer need the special fiberglass mesh tape & thin set to give you a monolithic base. Do not use silicone. If it smears on the board, thin set will not stick so good.

Green board on the studs with cement board over it is not the way to do this. But may be too late now. Why not apply the liquid membrane over the walls too? At least 2 coats should do. Did you install tarpaper or plastic on the studs? Hope not.

Quote:
Now that the mud is dry, it is not smooth-should i use a lil sand/top mix to create the slope the versa bond for tile??
No topping mix, don't you have the proper slope already? You should a had the slope with the pre-slope. You can tweak the deck mud a lil bit with thin set.

Got any pics of the construction process?

Jaz

Old 06-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #14

mudded shower floor

Attachment 53281

Attachment 53282
Old 07-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Tileguy

mudded shower floor

Neither attachment worked for me.

Jaz