Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Moving original hardwood floor

I am not sure if this is even possible. We'll soon be constructing a relatively small addition onto our home, approximately 5'x10'. We'll then take an equal amount of space away from one of our rooms to create a small bathroom. Our whole house is The flooring is about 1.5-2" wide tongue and groove planks, not sure what type of wood specifically. They are approximately 75 years old.

I would like to "move" the wood flooring into the addition, trying to weave it into the old floor to make it relatively seamless. Is this even remotely possible? How difficult will be it to pull off?

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #2

Moving original hardwood floor

I am in the process of rehab a 100 year old farm house which is built totally from heart pine. I am taking up and moving wood floors from one place to another. I was told it would be a huge job to take the floor boards up, but that ended up not to be true. They came right up because the nails were pretty much shot.

I had some of the boards put down in a newly redone room and I am not happy with the results. The boards are not even and there are spaces in places between them. In other words they do not fit together like the original floor. (tongue & groove) I cleaned the groves thoroughly.

I will be sanding the floor, which is something I probably would have had to do anyway. But I think the job could of been done better, I just don't know what the missing 'step' is. I am sure with all the reclaimed wood flooring places, there must be a way to take the boards up and put them down again so they look nice.

I will watching this thread to see what others have to say.

Last edited by caugusti2002; 11-04-2009 at 08:20 PM.
caugusti2002 is offline   Reply With Quote