Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

more ditra questions

I started lying down my first piece of ditra today. i used a 1/4x 3/16" v groove as recommended by their website. after placing thinset, i peeled back the ditra to check coverage. Some was sticking to fleece some was not. I went back and added a little water to make it looser. this helped some. I tried a 1/4 U groove trowel thinking it would leave me with more thinset. It alsdo seemed better. When i look down aft3er I have pressed the Ditra down it seems like I can see some light spots through it as if there may not be enough thinset underneath. Am I not spreading or making my thinset properly or is it my trowel. If i need to order the correct one online I will.

Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

more ditra questions

What type substrate surface are you putting the DITRA on?

What you describe sounds about right but there may be ways to enhance the installation. Don't panic. Above all else, don't panic.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
Tileguy

more ditra questions

It would be best if you kept your questions about this project in one thread. That way it would be easier to know what's going on. I also suggest you read what was said there about the proper trowel to use. porcelain tile over ditra

Anyway, I told you the 1/4x3/16 V is not the best choice....but...... I can't figure out why the 1/4" U isn't working for you though. If you've got enough mortar on the floor and spread it with that trowel you should have way too much. So, I don't know what's going on.

How are you "beating" the Ditra into the mortar? Using what?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Stairguy

more ditra questions

i am placing it over 3/4 underlayment. Reason I used the 1/4"x3/16 v notch is because it was recommended by their website and it was the one that they had at the store. I cant find the 5/16 v notch anywhere on the net. In the videos i have watched on Ditra, it seems none of those guys use either one of these. I pressed it down with a wooden float. Its probably fine. I just paniced because i spent a lot of money on the thinset and had it mixed already when I realized the thinset wasnt sticking to the ditra.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

more ditra questions

Let's recap!

First of all if the 1/4"-U isn't working the only thing that can be is the thinset is too dry. A 1/4"-U in my opinion will put down way too much thinset.

I use 1/8"X1/8"X1/8" square notch. Been using that trowel for years, since the very beginning. In fact there was a time when Schluter also recommended the same trowel after a time.

You have noticed you can see some thinset through the plastic of the DITRA. Don't expect it to look as if there is 100% bleeding into the scrim. There will be but I think the scrim varies in density and the bleed-thru isn't at all consistent. This doesn't mean everything isn't OK, it is.

I think you are doing fine.

Now, tomorrow...DON'T try to lift the DITRA to see if it is stuck because it will lift. LEAVE IT ALONE!

You are good to go.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
Tileguy

more ditra questions

As Bud says, you're probably fine. The 1/4" U is too big. Have you decided what trowel to use to set the tiles yet?

I never said you'd be able to go buy a 5/16" V. I told you to cut deeper grooves in the one you had. You only supposed to bond the scrim to the floor. If the thin set squeezes up into the groove, you're applying too much. It's supposed to uncouple.

Schluter's original recommendation was 1/4x3/16" V. Then they said that a 5/16" V would be fine too. Later they came out with the "Ditra" trowel which is 11/64" square. The Kerdi trowel is 1/8" square, BTW.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
Stairguy

more ditra questions

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Good thing I only put down one piece so far. I will make the adjustments from here. I was thinking a 1/4" x 3/8" x 1/4" for the 13" tiles
Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Tileguy

more ditra questions

Quote:
The Kerdi trowel is 1/8" square, BTW.
OH! Maybe that's it!
Doesn't matter. I use what works for me in this case and finding all those weird trowels around here just ain't happenin'.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #9
Tileguy

more ditra questions

By-the-way! Some of the odd notched trowels can actually be found in the wood/vinyl flooring department at a big box. That's where I find some of mine like the 1/8" square notch. The big box uppity-mucks at corporate just don't get it any better than the burger boys they hire as experts on their floor.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
Tileguy

more ditra questions

Quote:
I was thinking a 1/4" x 3/8" x 1/4" for the 13" tiles
Perfect!

Quote:
The big box uppity-mucks at corporate just don't get it any better than the burger boys they hire as experts on their floor.
The truth is the big-wigs do not care whether the right info is given to their unsuspecting customers. If the materials keep going out the front doors, all is well.

Jaz

Old 03-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #11
Stairguy

more ditra questions

I layed down a few more sections of the Ditra today. This time I tried a 1/8"x1/8"x1/8". when I pulled back the Ditra, it didn't seem to have 100% coverage...maybe 80. I'm using the mega bond by Laticrete and using the additive which doesn't require water. When I mix it, it seems to thick. I added a little water to make it pretty fluid. I think I could add more water to it and still have it stiff enough to hold an edge but will I be causing more harm than good?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
Tileguy

more ditra questions

If DITRA was any easier to install it would install itself!!!
C'mon man...why is this so difficult?

If it is too thick - thin it out some.
You probably won't see 100% coverage anyway, why do you keep pulling it up?

Go back and re-read Post #5.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You have noticed you can see some thinset through the plastic of the DITRA. Don't expect it to look as if there is 100% bleeding into the scrim. There will be but I think the scrim varies in density and the bleed-thru isn't at all consistent. This doesn't mean everything isn't OK, it is.
The Millertyme is now starting to make sense.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 03-29-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote