Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mold on Hardwood Floor

We are looking at a 4 year old forclosed house to buy in SC. It has been vacant for about 6-8 months. There is one spot of mold on the otherwise fairly good shape hardwood floor.

the spot is about 2 feet wide, and is in a corner close (about 3 feet) from an exterior wall. the spot is not soft, and I can jump up and down on it wothout any movement or cracking. Also, the floor looks OK, from under the crawlspace at that spot. (See attached photos.)

I included the last pic as an overall representation of the general condition of the floor.

We are going to get home inspection done before closing, but I just thought I could get an idea of what to expect.

Do you think this is a big problem? FYI, first time home buyer... dont know much about residential construction.

Thanks for the help

Constant Improvement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mold on Hardwood Floor

My bet would be that the owner had a large potted plant setting in that spot and kept the floor slighly damp. Clean it up with a good household cleaner. If the wood is solid there will be nothing to worry about other than the appearance. That will likely take some sanding and refinishing.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 12-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #3

Mold on Hardwood Floor

Thanks, that's good to hear, and is actually the same advice as I got from another person.

It is possible to sand and refinish only sections of a hardwood floor? There are a couple other spots where it could use some help... but I hate to do the whole thing if it dosent need it.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #4

Mold on Hardwood Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
My bet would be that the owner had a large potted plant setting in that spot and kept the floor slighly damp. Clean it up with a good household cleaner. If the wood is solid there will be nothing to worry about other than the appearance. That will likely take some sanding and refinishing.
I agree. Not much to worry about here.

Lack of air flow combined with moisture is the biggest reason for mold. As Maintenance 6 said they probably had something there. This restricted air flow and the mold grew.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #5

Mold on Hardwood Floor

I'm by no means a pro at this, but I saw some anti-mold stuff at Lowe's when I was shopping there on Sunday. I'm not sure you use it as a cleaner, but it's supposed to protect against future mold. You may want to check it out. The display was near Lumber.
navyblueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Mold on Hardwood Floor

The best "anti-mold" process you can use is to keep indoor humidity levels below 60-65% and dry up any free standing water (such as overflowed planters). Then mold can't grow. As far a refinishing spot areas. You'll need to sand out the defects. Try to match in the stain and apply a clear finish. You may need to bleach out any blackened spots. Lots of elbow grease and patience.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #7

Mold on Hardwood Floor

Thanks for all the replies. I will problby try to re-finish that spot when the time comes. I cant wait to be a home owner, and get started with some upgrades... I will be back for sure if/when we get close on the house.

Thanks again.

Tags
mold hardwood floor