Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Mold(?) in Hardwood

I've pulled up the old carpet and am getting ready to put down a floating vinyl plank floor (Allure Ultra). I'm not sure if this is mold on the old hardwood or not (see attachments). The floor has been the victim of dog accidents and probably too much water from the rug doctor when cleaning, so most of the finish is gone in the high traffic areas.

What is the best thing to do before putting down the vinyl? Bleach, primer, just ignore it or ???? So far I have just wet mopped it to get all of the stuck pad up. Obviously I don't care how the old hardwood looks, I just don't want anything breeding below the vinyl for years to come. I'm a couple weeks away from putting the floor down, so there is plenty of time to let any liquid based solutions dry.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Mold(?) in Hardwood-img_20121110_191526-1-.jpg   Mold(?) in Hardwood-img_20121110_191550-1-.jpg   Mold(?) in Hardwood-img_20121110_191608-1-.jpg  

tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Mold(?) in Hardwood

Why would you not just get the floor refinished.
Sure not going to increace the homes value by installing that type flooring.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 28

Mold(?) in Hardwood

Red oak turns grey or even black when exposed to water---that's not mold---just discoloration typical of red oak with a worn finish and exposure to water.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Mold(?) in Hardwood

Glad to hear it is not mold. Thanks!

I've thought about refinishing it, but expect that would be much more work and money. In addition to all the staining, there are a couple areas where I removed walls on an earlier remodel that don't have hardwood would have to be patched. There are also screws in some spots that were put in to reduce squeaks.

I also want something that can stand up to 80 and 60 pound dogs. I don't want to be refinishing every few years due to scratches, accidents or spills. I also hate cleaning, so something that is easy to maintain is a necessity.

I should be able to get the Allure Ultra for about $2.50 a square foot after some credit card rebates, coupons and such. I'm doing the living room and three bedrooms - about 700 square feet total. My labor is free of course.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

Mold(?) in Hardwood

I would go with laminite instead.
Have you looked at any of the 1000 plus threads on Allour on this site?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Mold(?) in Hardwood

Laminate scares me because the first time there is a dog accident or water bowl knocked over, it will get into the base wood and I'm going to have swelling problems. It also seems more slippery than the vinyl.

I've read through all of the Allure threads. It looks like the majority of problems are either the older glue style or people who didn't follow directions. I've got a 4x4' area down just to see how it looks and handles traffic. To me I think the Allure IS laminate, just with a waterproof vinyl substrate instead of particleboard.