Mohawk SmartStrand Triexta Carpet - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Mohawk SmartStrand Triexta Carpet

Getting ready to pull the trigger on about 10K worth of this carpet in the home. From what I have read it's pretty good and get's high marks for stains and such. From what I have read it's somewhat too good to be true.

Was wondering if anyone has this type of carpet installed. I am looking at Mohawk Campanello Horizon SmartStrand Triexta with Dupont Sorona?

Thanks for any input! Was hoping to find a carpet that would last at least 10 years and I don't mind spending $$ to have it cleaned a couple of times a year.

Thanks again!

Advertisement

pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

I keep hearing one warning after another about Sorona fiber. Do some digging and it's easy to find extensive complaints. It evidently mats down quickly and is not that easy to keep clean. It's basically a glorified polyester fiber. I'll take a good Anso nylon with R2X from Shaw over this stuff any day. Mohawk has always had a reputation for not standing behind their product either, at least for us.

Advertisement

rusty baker (10-15-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Ive found Triexta to be an incredible fiber- Its actually one of the 1st I recommend. As far as Mohawk standing by their product, I've never had an issue with the carpet so I can't really speak on how the brand responds. I can say I've never seen a carpet clean up like this before. Unreal, nothing stains it. And veryyyyyy soft!!
DIYguy_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
I keep hearing one warning after another about Sorona fiber. Do some digging and it's easy to find extensive complaints. It evidently mats down quickly and is not that easy to keep clean. It's basically a glorified polyester fiber. I'll take a good Anso nylon with R2X from Shaw over this stuff any day. Mohawk has always had a reputation for not standing behind their product either, at least for us.
Can you post some links as I have spent some time and found nothing but good words for this stuff but didn't want to spend a ton and have problems? And yes I googled all the typical things problems with XXXXX,
XXXXX sucks, etc...........
pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...542727404.html

Some good info there. It backs up what I've heard from other carpet mills. It's basically a type of polyester that has been around for a good while. Any good solution dyed nylon will outperform it, especially on crush resistance. Any solution dyed fiber can be cleaned with a mild bleach solution as well without hurting it so one of the big selling points is kind of overstated as well.

Shaw owns Anso now and they put extreme warranties on their Anso products. It carries their house brand of stain treatment, R2X, which is made into the fiber just like Stainmaster. It covers pretty much everything the Sorona fiber does, has a nice soft feel to it and better resilience to traffic. I've also had much better dealings with Shaw on any warranty issues than I have with Mohawk. I've also had far more issues with Mohawk over the years, mostly quality control related.

I'd personally recommend a Shaw Anso fiber, but you may be just as happy with a Sorona fiber if you go that route.

Last edited by poppameth; 10-16-2012 at 03:24 PM.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

I have installed since 1973, and can't add anything to what "poppameth" says. He is 100% right.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote