Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #1

Share |

Mohawk Laminate repair

Has anyone had to repair a Mohawk Duralock plank? My bad plank in in the middle of room.
Jimmy v

jimmy v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #2

Mohawk Laminate repair

Well if you installed it yourself, I'm sure you've figured out, there is no way to remove the bad board without removing all the ones before it....well actually I guess you could get the damaged board out...it would be getting the new one back in without ending up with another damaged board that would be the problem.

I say just take the time to pop everything outta there, replace the damage, and fill back into the wall.

jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 PM   #3

Mohawk Laminate repair

The prblem is that the Duralock from Mohawk is locked togther with glue. I am assuming the planks would break when i try to lift them out.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #4

Mohawk Laminate repair

They actually recommend gluing a locking floor together? Thats a new one on me. In that case, better wait on one of the pro flooring guys. It could be you could cut it out and glue something back in, but I don't know how long it would last.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
Contractor

Mohawk Laminate repair

Here's how to replace a plank.

Set the depth on a circ. saw very carefully to just less than the depth of the flooring. Cut 3/4" inside the perimiter of the plank and pry out the center section.

Cut 45's from the corners of the cut out to the corners of the adjacent panels. Don't nick the other panels! I use a RotoZip for this, it also cuts a 1/8" gap which is helpful.

The glue should be an acrylic, soft, and part rather easily. Gently pry the perimiter pieces off. Clean up any excess glue 'in the hole' with a sharp wood chisel.

Going back.

Trim all of the tongues from the bottom of the replacement plank (I use a table saw), glue the new plank in place, clean up the excess glue and weightt until the glue sets. That is not a misspelling, you have to gently weight it down. I use a few 3# dive weights.

BTW, I hate Mohawk.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:12 AM   #6

Mohawk Laminate repair

I hate to recommend that anyone go against manufacturer instructions, but why on earth would they say to glue a locking type floor together? I thought the whole point of coming out with locking floor was to get away from the glue and having to drive the peices together (and drive the floor out of line while you're at it). Any thoughts Teetor or anyone more into flooring than I?
Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 PM   #7

Mohawk Laminate repair

if the manufacturer still allows glue to their "glueless" locking system, I would glue it everytime. It's cheap insurance.
But some manufacturer's glueless technology is so advanced, that you cannot put glue in it. And I am fine with that too.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:21 PM   #8

Mohawk Laminate repair

The grooves are pre-glued any you use a water aplicator which activates the glue.