Modular Home Flooring Problem - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
wen

Rewards Points: 10

modular home flooring problem

Help. I have an 8 year old Cape Cod modular home (Nanticoke) set on a full foundation (Superior Walls). There is a very definite hump in the middle where both sides meet, on both lower and upper floors. The company who built the home went bankrupt, and the builder disappeared. I need to correct this situation, and need to hire someone who can accurately assess the situation , is competant, and can fix it.How do I find someone reputable? What kind of skills does the person need? Carpenter? Structural Renovator? A Structural Engineer I consulted told me that the house was poorly built and that there is no major structural problem. He, however gave me no help in what to do to remedy the situation. I would greatly appreciate all the help I can get.
I live in New Jersey.

Advertisement

wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Go over to the contractor side www.contractortalk.com There should be someone over there that would help.

Advertisement

JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Re: modular home flooring problem

Hi WEN, I just came across this and I would like to know if you ever found an answer or a solution to your modular home flooring problem.
Ziggy2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14,312

Post some pictures under the house.
With that little info it's likely undersized footing under the outside walls.
The center piers need to be lowered.
No idea how to do it without some pictures.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 466

It's a 12 year old thread.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

I am asking because Iím experiencing the same problem as WEN has described. I am not a DIYer and am unable to fix the problem myself, and Iíve been unable to find a contractor who can tell me what is going on. After half a dozen contractors, a building inspector, and a licensed structural engineer each looked at my home and could not tell me what was wrong, I recently was told by the current contractor that the columns are too high and would need to be cut, but that structurally the building is fine. This is no doubt correct and it may be the symptom, but I believe there is more to the issue. For the first 5-7 years, my modular home had flat and level floors, then they started to buckle or lift at the marriage wall as described by WEN. I live in New England and have the four seasons. The floors are only raised during the winter months, and will go flat again each summer. This cannot be explained by the columns being too high. This problem has persisted for about 5 years now and I am just trying to get an answer as to what is going on and whether it can be corrected or improved. I saw WENís post and was hoping I could get answers here.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 334

How deep are your footers?
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #8

I don't know. How can this be determined now? Sorry if this is a novice question but I'm really not a DIYer, just a desperate homeowner.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 334

Do you know what the frost line is for your area? I'm not too familiar with construction that far north. If the footer isn't at or below the frost line, the freeze/thaw cycle can move the foundation. I would think [but don't know] that it wouldn't be as critical with the center piers since they are somewhat protected from the cold.

The only way I know to tell what depth the footer is at would be dig a hole next to it.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:12 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy2017 View Post
I don't know. How can this be determined now? Sorry if this is a novice question but I'm really not a DIYer, just a desperate homeowner.
This does sound like a frost problem. the depth of the footing should be as deep as the frost depth in your area so the top of the footing might be a few inches above that depth.
If you google frost depth and you nearest city. that info should come up.

The footing should have a bigger foot print than the pier or wall so you can pound a rod down beside the pier until you hit something solid.

If you can't get in there with a long enough rod, use ready rods and joining nuts so you can join them as you go. Always have a nut on top to hammer on so you don't spoil the threads.

Sometime you just have to raise the dirt level or maybe some well place insulation (foam)
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 02:32 PM   #11

Thanks to you both, Mark Sr and NealTW! This makes sense to me.

Advertisement

Last edited by Ziggy2017; 06-22-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo