Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

modified thinset

I've read that "modified thinset" will stick to anything. Is that what I should use to stick Ditra onto a subfloor that has residue of glue and the stuff used to make a subfloor level for linoleun?

tnx,

analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

modified thinset

Jaz or Bud will see this---Ditra asks for unmodified---however many people use modified --

modified thinsets vary in their formulas---some are highly modified and will stick to most surfaces--others are less so and need a clean surface----

Jaz or Bud are very experienced with the Schluter products--so I'll duck out for now---Mike---

Old 01-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

modified thinset

Quote:
I've read that "modified thinset" will stick to anything.
I doubt anyone has written that, where did you read that?

Quote:
Is that what I should use to stick Ditra onto a subfloor that has residue of glue and the stuff used to make a subfloor level for linoleun?
All depends on what residue and which modified thinset. It's always best to start with a good clean floor.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #4

modified thinset

I doubt anyone has written that, where did you read that?

actually, it was a review of a "Ditra" look-alike where the guy said something about modified thinset even sticking to "polyethylene" like Ditra because modified thinset will stick to anything and you don't want anything sticking to Ditra. (at least I THINK that's what he said)

tnx,
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Tileguy

modified thinset

The term "sticking to anything" is pretty open ended and meaningless. Modified thinset will stick to whatever it says it'll stick to, it's right there on the bag and data sheet.

I need to know what this residue is. Many sheet vinyl adhesives will dissolve with hot water. But, sheet vinyl is not stuck to a subfloor, it should be bonded to thin underlayment which is removed, and so no more residue. Tell us the whole story of what you've got.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

modified thinset

Ditra has flocking on its underside which get pressed into the thinset. You want your underlayment stuck to the subflooring. I would remove the "glue and stuff" from your subfloor prior to any installation.

Over wood subflooring, I believe that you use modified thinset under the Ditra, then unmodified thinset to install tiles over the Ditra.

Schluter publishes an excellent manual describing what to use for installing Ditra in a number of instances. You can download it from their website. Follow that advice more than anything you read elsewhere.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Tileguy

modified thinset

What does the flocking on the back of Ditra have to do with what we're talking about now? How to install Ditra is not an issue.

There should be no glue residue on the "subfloor". Flooring is not glue to "the subfloor". It's glue to the sheet of 1/4" "underlayment" over the subfloor. You need to remove the underlayment and get down to the 3/4" subfloor.

Jaz

Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #8

modified thinset

uh, what if the silly b------d who finished this area glued his linoleum right to the subfloor? (after applying some crap to level the floor)
I'm thinking I'll run a belt sander over the subfloor to get the residue off.
I speculate that his linoleum job looked so crappy that he had this "funky" carpet installed over it.which we had removed and "Mannington Gold" installed. (which was done by a pro correctly)

tnx,
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

modified thinset

Quote:
What does the flocking on the back of Ditra have to do with what we're talking about now?
Just pointing out that the thinset doesn't have to try to stick to plastic when using Ditra.

Quote:
uh, what if the silly b------d who finished this area glued his linoleum right to the subfloor?
Then you swear and laugh while trying to remove it.

I think you'll end up with a really nice floor when you're done.

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote