Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

modified or not

Seems different ppl recogmend different thinsets for appling backerboard to plywood. If I go ahead and tile my bath, I have Hardi Backerboard. Can I use non-modified to apply the bb and the tile? Wife wants to walk on it the next day! Porcelain tile, btw. I read this might mean 48 hrs for it to set. That would mean another day or two when it is grouted, right? Heheh, starting to lean toward returning the tile and going with linoleum. Not real sure about the floor structure either. 2x8's on 16 centers that I sistered some 2x8's..and some 2x4's to with bolts and nails. There is some termite damage to some of the old joists, and they are actually about 12' long. The bath is only about 5x7, not counting the tub/shower area, another 32". I'm thinking it may have to be torn out in the future at a lot of expense or labor on my part. Getting a little long in the tooth to be looking toward that a few years down the road (if that long). Comments?

boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

modified or not

Certainly any damage has to be corrected regardless of the type of floor covering you choose.

With Hardi you can use either thinset under, but you need to install all tiles with modified over Hardi. With porcelain you have no choice, gotta use modified. So you're lucky, use modified thinset for both steps.

You will install the backer and tiles on day 1, and grout and reinstall the toilet etc. the next day. It's best if it's not used untill day 3 am, but it could be used late day 2 if no choice. If you're going to seal the grout you can do that according to the product you use, but room can be used meanwhile.

Jaz

JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

modified or not

Didn't know I could install the backer and the tile in the same day with modified. Thought it needed more time for each step, backer and tile. I may do it just to see what I can do with it.

P.S. Is the nylon tape used on the seems the same as the nylon tape used with setting compound on drywall? Type used on roof patching, or something else?

Last edited by boman47k; 10-03-2007 at 07:42 PM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

modified or not

The tape can also be used for drywall I'm sure. It's fiberglass mesh alkaline resistant and should be on the shelves near the CBU's. It's probably self sticking. Apply to the seams then spread a thin coat of thinset over it and smooth with a 6" putty knife. Keep it thin so you don't make a speed bump. Some like to install it as they set the tiles instead.

You can start tiling as soon as the CBU is in.

Jaz
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote