Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Mixing Hardwood Floors

I'm new here so go easy on me. I'm looking for any and all opinions on mixing hardwood floors. I have honey stained Ash in my living area which carries throughout the kitchen and hallway to the bedroom and bathroom doors. The bathroom is tiled but our bedrooms are carpeted and that's about to change. So my question is if I can no longer buy the Honey Ash wood to carry into the bedrooms for a seamless transition, what is your opinion on laying a different type of wood with a stark transition piece between the bedrooms and the hallway's current Honey Ash? I've read conflicting opinions on many sites before I turned to the forums with regard to mixing. The Honey Ash is a select with no knots but the grain is both light and dark contrast with a polished finish. Opinions please.
Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #2

Mixing Hardwood Floors

You can put just about anything you like in the bedrooms. Keep in mind the color and hue of the existing wood and the grain...you want to usually stay with a similar grain (there is no right or wrong though). More importantly, when you consider color, that's where the hue (tone) of existing comes in. Stay with the same hue/tone but go either darker or lighter. Don't do a color that is the same. The more contrast the better. If you bring samples home, don't bring too many, you'll get overwhelmed and drive yourself crazy! The best way to select, is look at your samples at home. Store lighting sucks! Don't be afraid of a rich darker color either. Many people are, but it doesn't always make a room look smaller! (you can see dust easily in very dark floors) In fact, it drives me nuts when people think it does. It's the way you use all colors within the room, you want to brighten, not whiten!
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Mixing Hardwood Floors

Thanks for the advise. What would you suggest for a transition between the different wood grains? I was thinking of a dark transition piece under the door that was a different type of wood altogether than the two hardwoods. I'm thinking that would separate the wood floors nicely rather than having a seamless transition from one type of hardwood to another. Suggestions?
Vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #4

Mixing Hardwood Floors

It may be too much if you choose a completely different transition piece. Just pick a transition from one of the 2 colors you have decided on...it will have a more cohesive flow. You really don't want it to stand out.
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ttr13r For This Useful Post:
Vicarious (08-26-2011)