Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Share |

Missouri vs Oakcrest hardwood manufacturers

I'm looking for quartersawn white oak. The local supplier carries Missouri brand, Oakcrest, and a few others, but those are the two they said to stick to. The wood looks the same to me. Does anyone know the difference between them?

acerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #2

The reason it looks the same is that it is all from white oak lumber. I take it this is unfinished flooring. If not, the finish is the only difference. See if the wood is all 1/4 sawn or if it might have some rift sawn lumber in it. If should not have any plain sawn lumber in it. I have attached a link to show the differance between the three.
1/4 sawn will have ray fleck.

http://www.northendhardwoods.com/2010/09/quarter-sawn-vs-plain-sawn-vs-rift-sawn-lumber/

1/4 sawn white oak (not a great example, but it was on my computer and it is too cold to go out to the barn and dig a piece out)

Oak is not the only species that shows ray fleck 1/4 sawn sycamore

Last edited by woodman58; 06-04-2011 at 06:21 AM.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the details description and pics.
I understand the difference between the cuts. I was more questioning the difference in the two brands. There is a bit of price difference, so wondering if maybe there is a quality of wood used, or if I should just go with the cheaper one
Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #4

As far as I know there is only one grade of white oak that is 1/4 sawn. It comes from either a stave or veneer quality log. This means it will have no knots or blemishes of any kind. stave logs are used to make wine barrels. Veneer logs are used to make high end ply wood and high end furniture. I would veify the quality with the store and probably go with the cheeper one.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
DIY staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
As far as I know there is only one grade of white oak that is 1/4 sawn. It comes from either a stave or veneer quality log. This means it will have no knots or blemishes of any kind. stave logs are used to make wine barrels. Veneer logs are used to make high end ply wood and high end furniture. I would veify the quality with the store and probably go with the cheeper one.
Very helpfull post there woodman !
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
the Musigician

Thanks for clearing that up! The picture helps.

DM
Attached Thumbnails
Missouri vs Oakcrest hardwood manufacturers-plainsawn_quartersawn_riftsawn_northend_hardwoods1-480x360.jpg  
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #7

Is it normal to see all that ray fleck? The sample I was shown didn't have any, and that's the look I liked. Just long thin straight grain. I think they called it closed grain
Old 06-07-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

Not all of 1/4 sawn white oak will have the ray fleck. But at least 90% should have. Thje price should refleck being 1/4 sawn. You loose about 30% of a log by 1/4 sawing. I would not accept it with less than 80%. I would get this in writting.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
Not all of 1/4 sawn white oak will have the ray fleck. But at least 90% should have. Thje price should refleck being 1/4 sawn. You loose about 30% of a log by 1/4 sawing. I would not accept it with less than 80%. I would get this in writting.
I'm not a big fan of the ray fleck, so I guess that means rift sawn is really what I'm looking, and not 1/4 sawn.

the product was actually called "Rift-quartered", but not sure how much rift and how much 1/4 is in the mix.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #10

It should be about 50/50. You will still have some ray fleck but, it will not be as prominate with the rift sawn. Most all of the Amish furniture is made with 1/4 sawn lumber. As a hobbiest furniture builder I love 1/4 sawn white oak. I could see where on a floor it could be over welming.