Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Share |

Missed spots on screen and recoat

I noticed that I didnt overlap in a few places on my screen and recoat and there is a sheen difference. The desired sheen is satin The lighting in one of the rooms wasnt good and I couldn't tell I missed it at the time. Its been 24 hours and I used Bona oil-modified polyurethane. I'd rather not re-coat the entire floor so can I spot fix it? I have read about taping off the entire boards in the affected area, reapplying and removing the tape immediately. Will that work? Also what would it look like if I just rolled on another coat in that area and feathered it out? I used a 1/4 nap mohair roller and it laid very flat so.

Thanks,

David

djonesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #2

You can spot it , But tape the area . Abrade with inter coat abrasion pad , AKA purple abrasion pad , This keeps the abrasion from getting bigger than intended , Coat inside the tape area , remove tape while wet , POLY does not chemically adhere after it dries , It is suppose to be abraded for mechanical adhesion ,But it has happened , Also mix the can of poly with a stik and put the cap on shake it about 50 times or more , But count out at least 50 , If you didn't the sheen can be different , Hope thats not the problem

tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks, should I tape off complete boards? Also I did not shake the can but I did stir it until it looked uniform and I still have some poly in the can that was used to do the missed spots.

I attached a picture of the floor. It looks fantastic and better than I expected aside from those few spots.
Attached Thumbnails
Missed spots on screen and recoat-img_1405.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

Also, what should I use to apply the finish to the spot fix? I uses a roller the first time.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

I'm pretty bummed. I spent a lot of time on this floor and it looks great but when I put the blue tape on the floor it took some of the finish off. Did I do something wrong or does the floor need more time?
Old 06-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #6

If the blue tape took the finish off , I could only guess from my position , I assume you left it on for a day or more ? or you did not abrade the coat for mechanical adhesion , No Matter ,Just use a 180 screen or slick off an old 120 by rubbing it on concrete or fold and rub together , Then use a light hand to buff the tape spot , Just take a brush and touch it up , I do it with oil based poly , Just try to have a light amount of poly on the brush so this fix doesn't grow to monster proportions , Long as you shake the can each time you should get the same sheen, I guess the tape stuck if you rubbed it down real hard to , I don't , I have not had this happen , Except when a customer left the tape on fresh poly for a couple days to paint m Hard to say sometimes , Bona is good poly , Your floor looks good , some times you scrutinize your own work too much , which is a problem with me , Because , I am a perfectionist , and a pro , I see every thing , Most customers don't , and finally , it's hard to perfect a onsite finish job , it's not a paint booth ,

Last edited by tacomahardwood.; 06-27-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #7

I put the tape on and flattened it, thinking to myself, I should use masking tape since its not as sticky. Then I thought to myself I should test taking this off before taping the other spots. When I did it peeled spots so I decided not to tape any other places. I thought I had taken good care to sand everything well but maybe not, or maybe the previous owner put something on the floor that the buffer didnt get up, or maybe the floor jsut needs more time. I screened the floor with 6 X 120 grit screens and hand sanded the edges, corners and anything the buffer didn't get.

Anyway, after seeing the tape pull off the finish, I decided to just lightly brush the spots and not tape. I figured it cant look any worse and I may have to sand and recoat anyway. it actually looked like it was going to dry ok but I havent seen it today yet. It will look better than it did before so I'm not going to stress over it.

I am a perfectionist too, in the work I do and I know others will see. I had 4 people in the house and none of them could see the spots until I made them stand in the exact spot where they could see the the light reflecting off the spot in the floor with the defect. So as far as that goes, it will bother me for a while but I can handle the imperfections I suppose, I just mainly dont want my floor delaminating.

Thanks,

David
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #8

If it does , You probably should of asked first and used a recoat prep kit , Which is just some sort of cleaner ,But if it was waxed . Or if some one sprayed wax on the furniture ,That could cause it to peel , It is what it is now , If it peels , Just wait a while , Buff the heck out of it with a couple good 120 screens , Then use a cleaner prep , Like Bona Prep , And follow the directions , How ever some times it peels with tape , Just don't mess with it , If it sticks under normal wear conditions then don't monkey with it ,
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback, thats what I plan to do. It looks fantastic so I'll just leave it and hope for the best. So far we've been walking on it and the kids have been running and playing and its been fine. We'll move the furniture in this weekend. I actually bought the supplies to clean the floor because I wanted to test cleaning it with the buffer before resurfacing it. I had thought about cleaning it again after the screening but I was leery of putting anything on the the sanded surface before finishing.

Thanks,

David
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

I did not agitate the can but I did activity it until it looked compatible and I still accept some poly in the can that was acclimated to do the absent spots. I did not agitate the can but I did activity it until it looked compatible and I still accept some poly in the can that was acclimated to do the absent spots..
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #11

The floors looks pretty darn good. If it were me I would just put down another coating while you have everything out though. This will add more protection and hopefully fix the areas you were concerned with..
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomahardwood.
, Also mix the can of poly with a stik and put the cap on shake it about 50 times or more , But count out at least 50 , If you didn't the sheen can be different , Hope thats not the problem

I'm not a floor finisher, but I thought shaking polyurethane was a 'no-no. The labels on some brands say 'do not shake'. Not to ever shake Polly is something I learned as an apprentice. From what I understand it can create bubbles I the finish.

I'm not farmillar with Bona brand Polly, and the spec sheet for it says to stir thoroughly. (Doesn't say to shake, or specifically not to shake)

Is there something different about this brand, or the fact its oil modified that makes it ok to shake it? Or is not shaking Polly a misconception or something?
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #13

I am a pro I shake it , Yes it says not to , But the bubble lay down , When you put it on thick it has plenty of time to lay down ,on a floor , On a wall or vertical surface , You have to put it on thinner , Maybe the bubble would dry , You can stir not shake , I don't care , I shake it all the time and it works just fine on a floor, I am a pro , I am better than most of my competition , I get calls and referalls for dark stains and work a good portion of my competition won't do , This is no longer an experiment for me , I am a PRO , If I say it it can be done ,