Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

A middle of the road choice for tile first or cabinets first

We're building a house. With regards to laying tile first or putting in the cabinets first, I have read quite a bit of varying opinions on "what comes first". I can appreciate both sides to that debate and don't want to start it again. I just thought maybe I could ride the middle line and wanted to see what the experts thought about it.

My cabinets are not in. I have subfloor. They are actually rocking today, I think. My question is...what if I put down the concrete board under the cabinets, but wait on the tile itself. Then there would be shims for the cabinets, but not so much shims...and wouldn't I be sort-of "waterproofing" under my cabinets? Is that a bad idea, good idea?

Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

In my opinion you'd be better off to just wait until the cabinets are installed. Then put down your 1/4" backerboard.

The backerboard in no way provides any sort of waterproofing and I see no benefit in installing it first. If anything, it will alter the height of the cabinets and countertop.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't forget to mesh tape and thinset your backerboard seams when you do put it in...A very critical step.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Oh hey, I'm from KC, too.

Thanks for the info. I might not be thinking about the same material, and I certainly don't know what I am talking about. (I know my terminology is WAY off, most of the time!)

Although I was talking about my kitchen cabinets, I am also thinking of the bathroom cabinets. Is that a different, and waterproofing, type of board?

Or am I confusing the board you put on the (gonna be wet) walls with what you put on the floor?
Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote