Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Metal Trim For Vinyl Flooring Against Bathtub

My house is approximately 35 years old. It has sheet vinyl flooring in both bathrooms, with a thin metal molding along the bathtub to hold down the sheet vinyl. The part of the molding that shows is a 1/4"x 1/4" quarter round. A nailing flange is attached to the molding and the sheet vinyl goes over the flange and under the molding. The molding looks good and has held up very well over the years.

I am in the process of remodeling my mother's two bathrooms, including installing new sheet vinyl flooring. Most of what I read indicates the sheet vinyl should just be glued down and caulked at the bathtub, but I would prefer the thin metal molding for both appearance and to keep the sheet vinyl from curling up. Does anybody know exactly what this molding is called and where I can find it? I've checked on-line and at all the local flooring stores.

Lynden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2

Haven't seen any of that for years. There is a clear vinyl piece that is L-shaped that you can stick on the edge of the tub to cover it. It is peel and stick.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #3
Tileguy

Linden,

There is nothing made specifically for that purpose, you are supposed to cut to fit and caulk as you said. But, they probably used a cove metal, it's usually used on stair tread/risers inside corner. Looks like this; http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alumi...9,r:3,s:0,i:84

It will work if the tub is straight, which most are.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2

That would probably work Jaz, there was a metal used for vinyl edges many years ago, but I haven't seen it for a long time.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

If I get stuck doing one I've been using vinyl cove moulding set in a bed of silicone.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Linden,

There is nothing made specifically for that purpose, you are supposed to cut to fit and caulk as you said. But, they probably used a cove metal, it's usually used on stair tread/risers inside corner. Looks like this; http://www.google.com/imgres?q=alumi...9,r:3,s:0,i:84

Jaz
Thanks everyone for your replies.

JazMan: If I can't find the molding I'm looking for, the one you linked looks like it will work and I'll give it a try.

Lynden is offline   Reply With Quote