Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Share |

Maximum hardwood flooring length

I'm looking at installing hardwood or bamboo flooring on the second floor of my house. Ideally, I'd like to run the flooring continuous from one room to the next, but that raised a question I can't find an answer to. In order to run continuously, I would end up with a ~28" wide strip nearly 50 feet long. This would run from the outside of one room, out the door, down the hall, all the way to the outside wall of another room at the opposite end of the house. The flooring would be running parallel to this length.

I understand about putting expansion gaps around the perimeter of rooms, but would running a clear ~50 foot long strip of flooring cause any issues? Would normal perimeter expansion gaps be able to accommodate this much flooring (or how much expansion gap would I have to use?)? If necessary, I could put expansion gaps in the two doorways at the ends of the hall and use T molding to cover the gaps. This would make the longest clear run about 25 feet (the length of the hall), but I'd like to avoid this if possible (and practical).

Thanks for any thoughts.
Steve

EE_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

why? you would need to stager the seams any way.

redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #3

the flooring expands and contracts mostly across the width and very little in length. will it all run perpendicular to the floor joists. i put a piece of flooring across each doorway to break the rooms up since i wasn't doing all of them at once and where i was going up to tile or carpet.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

If I am understaning you correctly then you do not have much of a choice if you are going to run the flooring in the rooms the opposite direction of the way the hallway runs. You can either change the way you originally wanted the wood to run in the rooms in order for the wood to run the length of the hallways or you can stop the flooring at both doorways with a full width piece of hardwood and then change the wood direction for the hallway. Depending on your skill level another option would be to use a harring-bone pattern at the door ways? These are your 3 options.
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote