Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Share |

Marks on laminate floor from adhesive - please help!

Hi all,
I installed a laminate floor in my basement last month. Looks awesome.
I was in the process of some other construction a couple of days ago and managed to get construction grade adhesive on a large portion of the floor. (don't ask, I'm frustrated to no end with myself!!).
I managed to scrape the glue off , but it's left nasty marks on the floor.
This isn't sticky residue from the glue. I can run my finger over the spot and it's smooth as can be. It's like the adhesive etched the surface of the laminate or something. The marks look like finger prints or smudges almost. They look terrible and they're everywhere.
So the big question - Does anyone know what the marks are or if they can be removed?? Or have I just ruined my brand new floor !!!???!!??
Thanks!

Bill Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #2

Post what adhesive it was.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

It was Lepage PL Premium construction adhesive
(http://lepageproducts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=84)
Bill Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #4

Could be that you have a problem. I was just reading the specs on the Stauf 950 urethane adhesive, and their big claim is that it does not contain isocyanates that can etch the flooring surface like other urethane adhesives. PL Premium is a urethane adhesive.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I fear you have just encountered one of the many drawbacks to laminate flooring. It is made by sandwiching a substrate, usually an mdf or particle board type material over a plywood or masonite sort of backing. A vinyl layer with the pattern is bonded and over that. Finally comes a layer of protective material that is most often not even as thick as two or three coats of poly on a real floor would be. The cheaper the flooring the thinner the laminate and protective layers since the substrate and backing have to be more or less the same thickness from product to product or you could not lay it in place.

I fear you have etched at least that protective layer with a chemical reaction. There is really not much you can do about it. You cannot sand and apply finish over the top like you could if you had a real floor.

The good news is laminate flooring is cheap (just saw some advertised for $.49/sf in a banner ad on this site) so although it will sting, you can save up and replace it?

I would never use it for anything. Maybe save up for real flooring with lesson learned from this experience? A nice area rug is in your immediate future to cover the damage in the meantime?

Last edited by user1007; 08-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote