Marble Vs. Porcelain Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Marble vs. Porcelain Tile

So I have been doing all this planning for marble tile in our foyer when my wife just called me from the tile store and says she found a porcelain tile that is made to look like white carrara marble and had been recommended.

I've done some quick research on the differences. I will say that we have several kids will several more likely coming, we live at the river, and that this foyer will be the almost exclusively used entrance to our house. For those reasons--high traffic, dripping wet kids from the pool and/or river, and the possibility of kids (myself included) spilling things--I was thinking maybe porcelain isn't a bad idea. We do have a nice house though so I want whatever we do to look nice.

Can someone give me the pros and cons of porcelain and marble? From what I understand, marble is softer, needs sealing (depending on who you ask at times), and stains easier. What are the pros and cons from a DIY standpoint? I assume porcelain is easier to lay from what I have seen, but want some opinions and facts.

Sorry to shift gears a bit but my wife shifted on me! Any help is appreciated!

Advertisement

DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 546

Go with the porcelain.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks, Joe! It is killing me to not put marble because I love the look of marble but I am wondering if "fake" marble (ie-porcelain) may end up looking better a few years down the road. If someone thinks marble will hold up, I'll definitely go with that but I don't want to put it in and have it look like crud because it gets everyday use. Any other opinions are welcome. I know marble requires a more stable floor and is more expensive but I don't mind those things if it will hold up to the wear and tear.

By the way, Joe, you are about 20 miles from me. I am actually operating someone from your town tomorrow!
DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Marble is very soft--granite would be the better choice if you wish to install natural stone---

Porcelain is a very hard tile---with kids and heavy use--porcelain would be a better choice--

Some are very fine looking---I like the Epoxy grout but do not recommend it for a novice--
While not difficult to use---any screw ups and your job will be spoiled---
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,652

Plus white marble tends to yellow over time. Porcelain will not Marble is brittle porc. is not
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 620

I've only installed marble on concrete. That is one of the reasons why people are telling you to forget it.

Don't think of porcelain as fake marble.

I would like to see you tile something like a laundry room before you do an entryway.

When I think of marble, I think smooth. I remember my sister in law had some marble steps at her pension in Turkey, and she was asking me what to do with them so people wouldn't slip on them.

I have installed some very textured, 6x6 tiles in a basement entry and I currently have some heavily textured 7x7 tiles which I like a lot.

For an entryway, I would point you towards rough, heavily textured, and small tile. I like the small aspect because, like in a shower, the grout lines will give you some additional traction.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I'd go with marble since I have a marble floor at home...
CharlotteTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteTaylor View Post
I'd go with marble since I have a marble floor at home...
Yea but, he said this about his foyer;
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDIYer
I will say that we have several kids will (have) several more likely coming, we live at the river, and that this foyer will be the almost exclusively used entrance to our house. For those reasons--high traffic, dripping wet kids from the pool and/or river, and the possibility of kids (myself included) spilling things--I was thinking maybe porcelain isn't a bad idea.
Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 77

Did a full body porcelain in my moms bathroom awhile back. Only complaint is that it was a major pain to cut (as an amateur). Had to rent the best tile saw in town and it was still slow going.
tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

Marble ranges from relatively soft to moderately hard, depends a lot on where it comes from. I was in Carrera Italy two years ago, which is probably the marble capital of the world. The outdoor steps in the town of Carrera are made of marble, actually the whole town is marble. Some of the steps must be 500 years old, they are in magnificent condition. I went to some Etruscan ruins that were said to be 1500 years old, the marble steps are still in good condition. Mind boggling.

Porcelain tile is durable, water and stain resistant, and can look great. However, I would not be so quick to give up on marble, it has been used successfully for flooring for thousands of years. Probably very important to get the right kind of marble, so best to go to a real stone store rather than a big box store. By the way, the Minnesota State Capitol building has interior marble floors, they have been there since about 1916, and they look amazing. Course they are maintained by a professional staff, still that building gets a lot of traffic.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote