Marble Threshold Too High With Concrete Board - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Marble Threshold too High with concrete board

I installed a tile floor using 1/4" hardi board over a plywood floor. I did not plan too well because the finished floor was higher than the original marble threshold. I took the old one out and want to install a new one, but any concrete board will cause the threshold to be higher than the finished floor. There is plywood on the base of the threshold but it is not entirely flat because 1) it wasn't to begin with and 2) from ripping out the old threshold. Can I install a thin piece of wood, say "birch" using thinset or mastic to level that out and then install the marble threshold over that? Or will the marble threshold inavariably crack? I'm ok with the threshold being a little higher than the existing adjoining wood floor because I will use a hardwood "joiner" to level it off. Help!

Advertisement

amgdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

They make marble thresholds in different thicknesses. How thick do you have and how thick can you go?

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you so much for your response. I have less than a 1/4" to fill in order to even the threshold with the already installed tile floor. I used a Flexbond thinset that allows for cracks up to 1/16". I managed to level the marble threshold as well as make it level with the floor. We'll see if it cracks. If an when that happens, I will resort to a tile/stone store. Have to finish this bathroom. A project that has lasted too long!
amgdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

The threshold is supposed to be about 1/4" higher than the bathroom floor tiles. It can be an inch or even higher than the hallway as it may work out. Use a shoe molding to cover the expansion gap.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
amgdiy (01-11-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Jaz is right. the marble threshold is also called something like a "sanitary threshold" I guess 'cause it keeps the water in the bathroom when you wash the bathroom floor.

tnx,
analogmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Amg,
along with what the others have said, I usually get thresholds that are 3/4" x 4 1/2" with a bevel on each of the long edges. the bevel is about a 1/4" tall. I try to set it so the top of the tiles hit the angle where the bevel starts on the side. This way you don't end up with a wider grout joint, and the thresholde sticks up just a bit and looks nice. Make sure you have a good level area under the threshold and it doesn't rock at all once you set it. If it rocks on a highspot, it will more than likely crack later on.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Quote:
the marble threshold is also called something like a "sanitary threshold" I guess 'cause it keeps the water in the bathroom when you wash the bathroom floor.
Somebody's using way too much water when cleaning.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote