Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Marble flooring burned?

Does Marble Floor get burnt? I am a bit confused regarding the fact! It would be helpful if anyone comes up with the answer.Thanks!

christine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,240

Marble flooring burned?

I'm sorry, I really don't understand the question. More details, please.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #3

Marble flooring burned?

Yes,even I was surprised when I came across a site discussing the same and most importantly to which the answer was "Yes Marble can get burnt".Absurd! So,I was finding for an answer which will be more specific!
Are you aware of something like this?

Last edited by christine06; 02-23-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #4

Marble flooring burned?

Marble is made from compressed minerals capable of taking high polish. It is widely accepted as far as flooring is concerned and itís true that no other natural stone can provide such a glamorous look. As the stone is very sensitive to acids and other chemicals it requires proper care and maintenance.
Marble Polishing is a crafty task meant for only trained and well-equipped professionals who can perform the job efficiently. This task is a big "no" for the do-it-yourselfers though primarily it seems easy.
The procedures of Marble Polishing include grinding, stripping, repairing, honing and polishing and the products include marble cleaners, etch or spot removers, sealers, e.t.c. but the vital part lies in the implementation of the methods effectively.
Feel free to comment here.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Marble flooring burned?

in my experience, yes, marble will burn...but not from anything a normal person could do to it. Putting a hot pan on it will not hurt it...holding a torch to it will eventually cause damage.

That's one of the major advantages of using a stone or concrete countertop or floor, it's almost undamageable under normal situations.

The only issue I have with marble is that you really need a pro to install it if it's going to be used as flooring. Marble is very soft, and unless it is set properly, it's prone to cracking easily.

My only question here is why are you concerned about burning? Meaning, everything in your house that's not metal has a flash point, and even the metals do too. Everything can burn if placed under the right conditions, and adding marble shouldn't be raising your concerns of burning...I'll say this, it's definitely better than anything else...it won't really catch fire, but it could potentially stain from super high heat
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Marble flooring burned?

It was great of you to answer in such a descriptive way actually.I was surprised to come across such a fact, but yes after you explained it seems to be a fact,but in not literally getting burnt but yes stains can definitely develop in not in proper conditions! Right! Thanks Steeler!

Now is it due to high amount of calcium carbonate that marble reacts with acids and other substances that causes damage to it?