DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Flooring (
-   -   Marble to Ceramic tile transition (

stormsurfin 06-18-2008 01:10 PM

Marble to Ceramic tile transition
Hello fellow DIYers, I am new to this site, and not new getting into projects I know insufficient information about prior to getting started.

That being said, I am tiling my bathroom (floor and all walls) with what is called "cherry blossom" marble tile. It is mostly pink of various shades with some light/dark grey veins and a tiny bit of green. My hallway is ceramic tile and multi colored (6 basic tile colors, tan, light tan, beige, dark tan, red-ish tan, washed out green). How shall I transition in my doorway from the hall into the bathroom? The door opens in, so my pink tiles could be seen with the door closed (see picture). I have already tiled the full pieces on the floor as shown in my amateur (MS Paint) graphic.

angus242 06-18-2008 05:36 PM

Multiple finishes available. :thumbsup:

I don't understand your drawing so not sure if the Schluter products will still be applicable. If not, perhaps you should have asked before tiling.

stormsurfin 06-18-2008 05:50 PM

the black areas are the walls, the squares are tiles in the hallway, the squares at a 45 is the bathroom. :thumbup:

Nestor_Kelebay 06-18-2008 10:46 PM

For expert advice, just open your yellow pages to carpet stores and ask to speak to the installations manager. He will know who sells flooring installation supplies in your area, and the people working in those stores will know what they have to transition between two floorings in a door way.

It's common to use something called "track base", which is an aluminum track that you can nail down and thinset or mortar over on one side. The track has a groove in it that you can press a vinyl cap into. They make about 5 or 6 vinyl caps to transition between flooring of different (or the same) height on each side of the track base. Any flooring installation supply store will stock the track base and the different vinyl caps for it. Typically they will stock only black and brown, but Johnsonite makes those vinyl caps in 48 different colours, so you can order the kind you need in a colour that matches your flooring.

Roppe and Bengard also make vinyl cap for track base (I think). Just Google Johnsonite, Roppe and Bengard and you should find the stuff on their web sites.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1