Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

Maple Floor

I have maple floor in my house.

I would like to make it a little bit darker, not a lot darker, but just a little bit. Maybe one or two (at most) shades darker.

I can't tell you how many people have given me different opinions on 'staining' maple wood.

I've heard pretty much every possible scenario from....

1. You can't stain it at all
2. It's very difficult to stain
3. You can stain it what ever color you want

Can someone with knowlege about hardwood floors please put this issue to rest for me?

-John

lda130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Maple Floor

Maple is generally quite hard to stain. It tends to absorb very unevenly and leave you with a splotchy result. This is on freshly installed and sanded maple. Generally all you can do it use a wood conditioner first and hope that helps control the penetration of the stain. The problem there is that wood conditioner keeps the stain from taking the depth of color it normally would. You'll have to experiment to get the color you want. In your case, it sounds like it's already been clear coated so once you sand it down you may not have to worry about it absorbing heavily (unless you sand it quite far down.) Unfortunately you'll still have to test the color on your floor to see how it takes. If it were me, I wouldn't take a chance on messing up my floor.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote