Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Share |

Maple..confused. Need Help!!!!

Hi All,
We are going to buy hardwood from lumber liquidators and now I'm doing research on Maple floors. The confusion is that there are different types of Maple that are being sold:
1) Hard Maple or Acer sacharum (botanical name)
2) Norway Maple (Acer platanoides)

The problem is I can not find any information on the second one. The LL site mentiones the Janca rating of 1450 for this maple, which is pretty good I think, but what is the stability? My concern is that Norway Maple is not very stable, and I do know that Hard Maple is less stable then oak. The LumberLiquidator's catalog number for this product is PRMA2S and it'a Builder's Pride brand by Dura-Wood.
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/cat...CategoryId=288
Everybody has different opinions about Maple, including our contractor. That confuses me a lot.
Anyone familiar with this type of floors? Why I can not find any info on an Acer Platanoides? Please help, we are running out of time and have to make a decision.

Thank you,
Brian

SciFi2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
MN

Hello Brian,

There are 13 species of Maple grown in the US. There can be a big difference in hardness and overall performance, so you are smart to be doing your research.
Sugar Maple and Black Maple are considered "hardwoods", while other species such as Silver Maple and Red Maple are considered "softwoods".
Several manufacturers offer simply "Maple", without specifying which species they are using.
If your dealer can't answer that question or find out for you...keep looking.
Not that the Janka hardness means everything, but it is one indicator.
Sugar Maple, for example, is tested at 1450, compared to American Red Oak at 1290.
The Norway Maple is very similar to the Sugar Maple, I'm not certain but I believe it is slightly less hard than the Sugar Maple.
Both are harder than the Silver or Red.
This simply means they are more impact resistant.
As always, the cutting method, applied finish, installation method, use and maintenance will make the biggest difference in overall performance.
Good Luck,
Kurt

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-02-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed
TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Still Learning

Personally I love the look of Hard Maple, but if you live in a climate that requires extensive heating in the winter months be prepared for some gapping regardless of how the flooring was acclimated. Interior humidity control should be considered here.

Quite frankly I'm not familiar with the other one.

Looks like a great price. Good luck with your project!
HardwoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote