Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making Stairs Scratch Proof

I'm trying to fine a way to make my stairs scratch proof, so you can scratch it with your finger nail, so the dog wont mess them up. Polyurethane wont work as mfg do not recommend putting it on existing painted surfaces. The paint I used was Valspar Latex Porch Paint (with Zap Primmer). I recently purchased Gidden Polyurethane Oil Gloss Paint and put some on a test piece. I do not think it will harden well enough to prevent it. The wood I used was your standard wood, specifically made stair treads, ready to paint from Lowes. I didn't buy Oak, which is a much harder wood. The only solution I can think of, is assuming the Gidden stuff does harden pretty well, I should take the boards up and put down oak & use the Gidden stuff, so the paint hardens nicely and the wood underneath isn't soft, but hard as well.

Any suggestions or comments from your experience is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Curtis
Attached Thumbnails
Making Stairs Scratch Proof-img_4906.jpg  

1simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Making Stairs Scratch Proof

Siloxane Encapsulated Nanoparticles for Scratch Proof Coatings

They are extremely scratch-proof, environmentally friendly, easy to apply and versatile in their application because they can be applied equally as well to parquet floors as to metals and plastics. These are the advantages promised by acrylic paints containing the new siloxane-encapsulated nanoparticles developed by researchers at Dusseldorf-based Degussa AG. In comparison to conventional acrylic systems, the wear resistance of these coatings is ten times higher, made possible by the exact mix of inorganic nanoparticles, based on the pyrogenic silica Aerosil, and the organo-functional Sivento silanes. These are in turn suspended in a liquid acrylic-based UV-cross-linkable binder. More details, here.

ayeshaa is offline   Reply With Quote