Making Plywood Underlayment Appear To Be Planked?... - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making Plywood Underlayment appear to be planked?...

I came upon a crazy idea today to paint the floor in our upstairs playroom, which is a finished attic. It is carpeted right now, and I have always suspected that there was hardwood under there however, I know that part of the house was added on and was unsure of the flooring situation under that part. So, today, I cut back some carpet where I knew the old and new house met, and sure enough, I had two different types of flooring. Now, this room is pretty much a long rectangle that you walk right into when you come up the stairs. I would say, the first third of the room, right when you walk up, is plywood, probably about 50 years old but good condition while the rest is great old hardwood suitable to be painted. Now, I've seen people paint hardwood with no problem as well as do wonderful things transforming plywood. My concern is, what are my option for "blending" the two? Even if they are painted the same color, I don't like the idea of the hardwood looking "planked" and the plywood being "flat." I had a weird idea- since it's no too big an area, considering the size of room, where the plywood is, would it be goofy of me to try to notch out some faux lines in the plywood? I was thinking lightly marking some straight lines to match the hardwood next to it and then taking the widest chisel I could and hammering straight "dents" along the line. I thought, when I painted over it, it could look like planks? Could this work? Or would the paint fill in the lines? Any other ideas on how to solve this problem on a budget? My concern with replacing that end of the room with similar flooring is making it all level.

Advertisement

FLWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 660

Making Plywood Underlayment appear to be planked?...

That is one crazy idea.
Sorry but painting a floor is just not not going to hold up for long in a traffic area.
Plywood will never look like a hardwood floor, it was never intended as a finished floor.
Looking for a cheap fix that will hold up to kids then think about some laminite flooring.

Advertisement

Last edited by joecaption; 07-30-2012 at 08:39 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote