Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Making a floor out Record Albums

Greetings ------- New to the forum, thanks for making this possible .
We have a Restaurant & Lounge with a Classic Rock theme. There is a area that currently has ceramic tile down on a cement slab with sheets of sometype of old wood plywood . We are starting to get some cracking in a few of the tiles . Any way I would like to lay album covers staggered across the entire floor about 600 sq ft . My thought is several coats of a water based polyurethane. So I guess the questions are should I take up all the tile and put down a another thin sheet of plywood or some type of covering. Or go right over the existing tile and just fill in where the cracked tiles are. What type of glue to keep all the albums in place while working on the floor .The best type of polyurethane or hard clear floor covering that I should use ? I am going to put the Restaurant website in just to get a feel how cool this would look in the environment we have .
www.classicsshawano.com Thanks for your time Bill

erthwrks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

I believe someone asked about this on here once before. You might try the search feature.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #3

I did a search and there was one other one with the same idea . Not much info though. It just seems like it can be done , just would like to get all the ducks in order before I take on a project like this . Thanks Bill
Old 12-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #4

Here is some info I recieved ----What do you think ??

We appreciate your interest in our floor coating systems as seen on our website at www.superfloorcoat.com. I understand you have 600 sq ft to cover and want to encapsulate the records within. For the application you describe I would like to recommend our TS-66 Supreme Urethane which is a Boeing spec product. It is exactly what we supply to them so quality is without question. This system is as tough as it gets. It is superior to epoxy in every significant performance category and it is comparably priced.

I would like to explain that unless there is serious corruption present this system does not typically require grinding or blasting which saves you a bunch of work, time and money on the application. The resins are driven into the concrete by the solvents where it becomes part of the concrete matrix so adhesion is permanent. Otherwise the resins sit up top where it is prone to peeling. That’s how we can guaranty adhesion for 20 years without grinding or blasting in most instances. It is as hard as epoxy but it does a number of things considerably better, which will help you. Namely it will not yellow or discolor. Secondly, it will retain its gloss and clarity far getter than epoxy. This product is guaranteed to withstand spilled fuel, antifreeze or battery acid for 7 days with little or no effect! It even withstands Skydrol (acid based hydraulic fluid for aircraft) which is why Boeing uses it.

You only need two products, TS-695 Etching Cleaner and TS-66 Supreme Urethane. The cleaner treats 200 sq ft per gallon. The urethane covers 300 sq ft per gallon. You are going to want to clean with an etching Cleaner. Once dry apply a coat of urethane then stick the records to it while still wet. This could be either clear or colored. Once done apply as many coats as desired over the records to seal it all in. This can be done by roller coat. I would think you would want to apply a minimum of two coats of urethane , probably more to smooth it out
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #5

Good luck, getting something like that to work in such a high traffic area would be a miracle. Save your money and don't get fancy on the floor...
Dank_1 is offline   Reply With Quote